Police ebike checks.

Would you let police ride your ebike to check for irregularities and illegalities?

• Yes. I have nothing to hide and I believe that my bike is perfectly legal.

• No. It could be a scam to steal my expensive ebike.

• I don't know what I'd do.

Results are only viewable after voting.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
If they pulled you over, would you let the police ride your ebike to check for irregularities and illegalities? What if someone in uniform came to your home, with what appeared to be genuine law enforcement ID, asking to test your bike after receiving allegations of it being rode at excess speed on the public highway. Would you allow them to take it for a ride and test it out on the road? o_O

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Similar to Woosh.

On the road I'd regard it as preferable to the alternative which is temporary confiscation to be taken away for examination on suspicion of illegality.

The "at home" second you list would never happen. E-bike conformity is not a criminal matter and a warrant cannot be obtained for this civil matter. So with no official confirmation, no way would I release the bike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the threat that the police are able (if) to verify e-bike speed should be enough to reduce substantially the number of e-bikes fitted with direct drive motors.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Well it was just a few days ago that I heard of the fake police car scam operating on our motorways, where an unmarked police car puts on its blue lights and pulls over a high end car on the pretext of doing a vehicle inspection. One officer will sit in the unmarked car and the other asks the punter to stand behind the barriers for safety while he inspects the car.
both cars are driven away and the punters Left standing on the motorway.

so my answer to your question is only if I was 110% sure it is a proper copper and that’s only on the road side, if I was unsure I’d call 999 and repot them as impersonating a police office.
as to my house, no chance

I'm in one of those moods today :p

D

Deleted member 25121

What if someone in uniform came to your home, with what appeared to be genuine law enforcement ID, asking to test your bike after receiving allegations of it being rode at excess speed on the public highway
It's not illegal to own an ebike whose motor can provide assistance above 15.5mph so there's not point in them examining at at home unless they can prove who was riding it.

I'm meeting my recently retired policeman friend this evening, I'l ask him obout the legality or otherwise of the police testing a vehicle.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Yes of course the Police could have a go on my bike, but I'd need their car keys as a guarantee. My Wife used to work for the armed response unit, so I think it's a fair swap :D

Gaz

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
when plod comes to my hut they smash the door down put me in cuffs and process me via looking in my ass for a weed stash pmsl.

if drugs are found on you they will strip search you and monitor output ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh and LeighPing
D

Deleted member 25121

It's not illegal to own an ebike whose motor can provide assistance above 15.5mph so there's not point in them examining at at home unless they can prove who was riding it.

I'm meeting my recently retired policeman friend this evening, I'l ask him obout the legality or otherwise of the police testing a vehicle.
My policeman friend retired 3 years ago and is sure that the guidelines have changed in that time so he couldn't help, he did say though that the police have the power to impound any powered vehicle in order to allow the experts to examine it so I guess the choice is between let the policeman have a test ride of your bike or let him impound it.

Bit of a no brainer really....

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Can't see a copper handing over the keys to his car, unmarked or otherwise.
There could be many things illegal about a car that are not immediately obvious, yet I've never been asked for a drive.

My own bike (Ezee front hub kit) will clock 19mph on the stand, not through anything I've done, so maybe 17.5 on the road. I think it's limited by magnetic saturation. However it never actually cuts out, i.e. if I go down hill at 25mph and peddle, the motor still sounds as if it's driving. So, I guess, to the letter of the law, it's illegal.
So I think if the request seemed to come from friendly curiosity I might say yes. If it came with 'litigant clout' I think I'd politely decline pointing out that their body armour would make 'em a bit top heavy and I fear for their safety and that of my bike.;)

Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My policeman friend retired 3 years ago and is sure that the guidelines have changed in that time so he couldn't help, he did say though that the police have the power to impound any powered vehicle in order to allow the experts to examine it so I guess the choice is between let the policeman have a test ride of your bike or let him impound it.

Bit of a no brainer really....
Yes, that's what I've been saying all along, it's always been the case.

In fact many years ago police officers could and did commandeer cars on the road to drive them in pursuit of escaping offenders. Fortunately that's no longer the practice.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So I think if the request seemed to come from friendly curiosity I might say yes. If it came with 'litigant clout' I think I'd politely decline pointing out that their body armour would make 'em a bit top heavy and I fear for their safety and that of my bike.;)
your Ezee kit was precisely the original kit for someone who is 'top heavy'.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Don't hide your dongle up yer ass. :p

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Can't see a copper handing over the keys to his car, unmarked or otherwise.
I was joshing - they're not allowed to.

Not about Mrs Gaz though. While I at the time had a rather unexciting admin job, she was part of the armed response, helicopter, dog and royal protection Special Operations Unit.

Gaz