'Police officer riding motorised bike hit a pedestrian - and then sued for HIS injuries'

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It appears their lordships were deciding if the hapless pedestrian was at work or not, rather than if he was responsible for the collision.

That would be important to Pc Compo because the company may have money and public liability insurance, whereas the pedestrian probably has neither.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

In this case, it appears that the cyclist was on the road. The pedestrian steps out, causes damage to the bike and rider, and gets off scott free, while the cyclist has to pay for damage doesn't seem fair.

I can compare this case with a scenario, where a bloke is doing his normal work associated with his shop, causes someone to get injured, and when sued, lies through his teeth about what he was doing there, and the judges let him off.

If the police had asked him why he had given his work address instead of his home address, a logical follow on question would have been, "Are you at work, then?". In which case, he would have had to say yes, and he would have been banged to rights. Somebody is probably kicking themselves now.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The court case was an application by the employer to overturn a previous ruling he was at work and therefore the employer was liable.

Both the copper and the pedestrian wanted the court to rule he was at work.

The copper so he knows the money will be paid, and the (former) employee so he doesn't have to pay it.

The copper can still pursue the pedestrian personally, but he will have to decide if he wins if there's any realistic prospect of payment.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
At one time a judge decreed that you were at work if you were going there from home. It made no sense to me at the time but little does.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
In France if you are on your way to or from work it is a work related accident. The only time this is not true is if you are not on your "normal" route to work (on the other side of town going to work from your mistresses house for example...).

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
But the copper was presumably at work in the line of duty as he was on his police bike according to the story - surprised he doesn't get compensation from his own employer's insurance, who'd in turn try and recover it from the pedestrian.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
No wonder unemployment is so high.
Unemployment is high because all the industrial jobs were sent to other countries when the US pension funds took the majority of shares in French companies. I have been here for 39 years and saw it happen with my own eyes. First was the textile industry in the north, then the steel and mining jobs went, do you wish for me to continue the list? France does still make stuff, they even own 47% of Nissan...

At least with the minimum wage here, those that do have a job only need to work at one job a day to pay for food and rent here not like some other EU countries I could name (without getting into the scandalous conditions in the USA itself)...

• Agree
Reactions: flecc