Police on E-Bikes

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Spotted half a dozen police out riding e-bikes in Macclesfield yesterday presumably on a training exercise, not sure what bikes they were but the look on their faces was a picture everyone of them had a massive smile....

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Spotted half a dozen police out riding e-bikes in Macclesfield yesterday presumably on a training exercise, not sure what bikes they were but the look on their faces was a picture everyone of them had a massive smile....
Delightful.
When I was a kid the police were either on foot or on pushbikes, they saw EVERYTHING! Police cars were very seldom seen.....
I am sure that e-bikes will not only save money (probably allowing more bikes to be purchased!), get the officers fit, but will also put a dent into crime too!!
I personally see that as very positive!
regards and thanks for telling us all
Andy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Someone oughta check they're not dongled ;)
British Police forces had many extended trials of e-bikes over a decade from 2006 on. Amusingly the bikes were all illegal at the time, as were most of ours.

That was because the law at the time set a 200 watt rating limit, but all the bikes they trialled on the roads were 250 watt rated, like most of ours.

MPs who were members of the All Party Parliamentary Cycling Group shared their guilt when they were given the opportunity to ride illegal 250 watt bikes too.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
British Police forces had many extended trials of e-bikes over a decade from 2006 on. Amusingly the bikes were all illegal at the time, as were most of ours.

That was because the law at the time set a 200 watt rating limit, but all the bikes they trialled on the roads were 250 watt rated, like most of ours.

MPs who were members of the All Party Parliamentary Cycling Group shared their guilt when they were given the opportunity to ride illegal 250 watt bikes too.
I think you will find that police can change those rules any time they like. A licence or derogation signed by a senior official In the Home Office sorts that out. Why I have even seen policemen with machine guns.....

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think you will find that police can change those rules any time they like.
They can and have done at times, but knowing the circumstances of those trials I'm betting they didn't. They had little idea of the law at that time and if looking would probably be misled by the type approval laws stating the limit was 250 watts. That was what had fooled the trade at the time.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I would think that the Police could easily have a special law for them, allowing more powerful motors and higher top speeds, if thought necessary!
regards
Andy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would think that the Police could easily have a special law for them, allowing more powerful motors and higher top speeds, if thought necessary!
regards
Andy
They could have already without any special law, just as we could, but only if the pedelecs were registered as motor vehicles after SVA.

No point though, since higher speed and power e-bikes are already available for anyone and have the Certificate of Conformity ready for registration.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Kent police just collected a couple of Wispers for extensive testing. We have supplied 100s of bikes into forces all over the country. All bar none love the fact that they can connect more easily with the public, and travel much further than on a non electric bike. They were very effectively used in North Wales tackling a drugs gang that used caravan sites to make deals as cars and even motor bikes were not nimble enough to chase down the dealers.

Last edited:
Reactions: artspeck and flecc