Poor air quality forecast for tomorrow - mitigated by riding an electric bike?

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hello, this picture has been popping up all over the media today, a body of deeply purple unpleasant air is set to roll over Southern England tomorrow and Defra are advising even the healthy to go easy until it's cleared off.

20150408_day2.png
From Defra

Which got me thinking and jotting out a short blog post - surely if you ride an electric bike in this you're taking in a lesser volume of polluted air and also spending less time out in it if you're covering the distance more quickly than the average non-competitive cyclist?

Last edited:

Naileddownslug

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 9, 2015
Well, yes, but the car drivers will be taking in less than the cyclists, whether assisted or not. On Radio 4 this evening an expert advised avoiding outdoor exercise, especially if you have respiratory problems. I'm slightly asthmatic. I intend to cycle in to work anyway, but I'll make sure I have an inhaler in my back pocket.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I recall studies of air quality inside vehicles - it's often worse than the outside air. Here's a recent one from KCL http://road.cc/content/news/129814-testing-mps-reveals-worst-air-pollution-inside-cars

"After examining data from several European and British cities, the authors concluded: “Compared with other transport methods, travelling by car has been shown to involve exposure both to higher particulate matter and to black carbon, even compared with cycling.”"

Naileddownslug

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 9, 2015
I recall studies of air quality inside vehicles - it's often worse than the outside air. Here's a recent one from KCL http://road.cc/content/news/129814-testing-mps-reveals-worst-air-pollution-inside-cars

"After examining data from several European and British cities, the authors concluded: “Compared with other transport methods, travelling by car has been shown to involve exposure both to higher particulate matter and to black carbon, even compared with cycling.”"
Yes but the OP's argument was that e bike users will be less at risk than normal cyclists because they'll be breathing in the nasties for a shorter time. Car drivers, going faster again, will be taking less in than cyclists in total, even if their inhalation rate per minute is higher.

Oh, you were the OP. Anyway, same logic still applies.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Reactions: Tim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Often their own fault though. When driving I use the recycle button on my air-con to select when I'm taking in air from outside. Most drivers seem to leave it on intake all the time, even when their bonnet is right behind the diesel just in front, asking for trouble.

It only needs to be on intake once in a while to freshen the internal air, the air inside is plenty for the usual one person for an hour or more.

All part of the art of good driving.

Reactions: Tim and jonathan75

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Beat me to it Flecc. These studies really have to be evaluated on their specific facts and methods. So often they don't support the claims people think they do.

Reactions: flecc

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
The smog has just arrived in Swindon. My normally clear view of the Ridgeway is completely obliterated. The David Murray John high-rise in the town center reduced to a faint outline.

I feel for the people living in the countries where this is being generated. No wonder they wear masks.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Visually no problem on the south of Croydon where I live, but there is a slight sulphurous smell in the air indicating that we haven't escaped completely.

I shall be out walking in the countryside shortly.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
The smog has just arrived in Swindon. My normally clear view of the Ridgeway is completely obliterated. The David Murray John high-rise in the town center reduced to a faint outline.

I feel for the people living in the countries where this is being generated. No wonder they wear masks.
It’s being generated from all over Europe including the UK. When the weather systems are moving in the more usual direction towards the east they get ours on the Continent. London in particular generates a mass of low level ozone in warm high pressure weather which hangs about and moves only slowly.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I recall years ago being at the top of Sydenham Hill in London.

Looking north, you could see an enormous grey cloud hanging over the West End and City.

Visibility of that cloud probably has something to do with time of year and atmospheric conditions, but it was certainly there that day.

I also recall when working in central London the inside of the collars and cuffs of my shirts often had black sooty marks on them at the end of the day.