Powabyke Battery Connection

andrew.carte

Just Joined
Aug 28, 2015
UK
Hi All,
I've recently obtained a Mk 2 Powabyke but due to where I live being quite unevan, my battery isn't lasting long enough to help me get to work. I have a spare and have to swap them over half way. I'm keen to put them in Parallel on my bike to obtain further distance without having to swap them over. Has anyone done this and if so was it easy and do you have any instructions. Thanks Andrew

D

Deleted member 4366

It can be done, but there's lots of potential pitfalls. In principle, all you need to do is charge them to the same voltage, then join the two black wires together and the two red ones. You can cut the main battery wire and put in a "Y" connector so that you can connect the extra battery in or out, but don't forget that the unconnected connector will be live, so needs insulating. You must make sure that both batteries are within 1v before connecting in parallel. You need a meter for that.

Leaving them permanently in parallel is a bit more complicated because when you charge one, its rising voltage will charge the other through the discharge wires. I'm not sure what's inside those batteries. I'd need to see one to be able to advise further.

To summarise:
Wire in a "Y" connector.
Charge the batteries separately, i.e. not in parallel.
Check the voltage before connecting in parallel.

andrew.carte

Just Joined
Aug 28, 2015
UK
Thanks for the advise, I was hoping to leave them permanently wired up so they would both charge up through the main battery but sounds like this may not be possible.