powabyke motors

mrfizz

Just Joined
Jul 3, 2012
does anyone know what type of motors i have in my bikes ,one is a early shopper with motor in back wheel and the other is a mk1 euro type thanks( brushed or brushless )thanks

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
You can confirm this on any bike by counting the number of wires going into the motor. Two wires means a brushed motor. Brushless motors have five or more.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These were always brush motors. The new Powabyke X bikes now have a brushless motor.

john a

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2012
These were always brush motors. The new Powabyke X bikes now have a brushless motor.
I was told by Powabyke themselves just the other day that the X24 has a brushless motor while the X6 does not...

This, apparently, caused the motor failure I had on the X6. However, I am no expert.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The X models were launched with the old brush motor, but that was later changed to the current brushless motor. I'd be surprised if the X6 still uses the old one, but they may be using up old stock on that lower priced model.

john a

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2012
The X models were launched with the old brush motor, but that was later changed to the current brushless motor. I'd be surprised if the X6 still uses the old one, but they may be using up old stock on that lower priced model.
Quick check of the serial number from the X6 proves that theory correct. My X6 was sold this year, but was old stock apparently (wish I had known sooner!!). Newer versions all have brushless motors as you say.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
As Flecc says, the Powabykes have changed to brushless motors on the MK2 range of XBykes. The easiest way to indentify if it's a MK2 is that they are all a polished alloy frame. Also the size of motor, the brushless is much smaller (145mm diameter) compared to the brushed motor (200mm diameter). These sizes are approx.

Kind Regards

FrankC

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
Quick check of the serial number from the X6 proves that theory correct. My X6 was sold this year, but was old stock apparently (wish I had known sooner!!). Newer versions all have brushless motors as you say.
I prefer the brush motor. It is very reliable, simple to repair and climbs well. I have 3 of them :D

Martyn Dee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 25, 2019
I prefer the brush motor. It is very reliable, simple to repair and climbs well. I have 3 of them :D
Hi, I have a problem with what I think may be worn brushes on my Powabyke .The battery seems to be fully charged but power is being drawn but hardly any power getting through to the wheel.Could this be the brushes do you think ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Your batteries are probably shagged. Can you tell us the entire history of the problem? How did it start?

Martyn Dee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 25, 2019
Hi, it started with a sudden drop off of power.I immediately charged the batteries overnight and retested it with exactly the same result - full battery showing on guage and when I accelerate the power indicator drops down to almost nil . I changed the front wheel over with another which had the same effect. The battery charges fully and fills the battery indicator very brightly ,but just does not deliver power to the front wheel, which is why I wondered if it could be a motor brush issue

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Sounds like the battery is, as VFR so eloquently put it, tired and shagged out after a long life, bit like me really :D
It is showing as full on the indicator bacause it is achieving full voltage, however it has no capacity. So, as soon as you apply a load, the voltage sags to below the low volt cutoff and the system shuts down.
You need either a replacment battery or a recell. Jimmy at Bga reworking/Insat international is your man for a recell.