Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Reviewer: Maggie Bevis

Retailer: ebay

Purchase Price: £350

Time Owned: 5 months

Terrain: Moderate Hills

Strengths:
It's easy to ride. The step through design makes it very easy to get on and off. It has a very comfortable sprung saddle. It goes up even steep hills well ( was brilliant in Yorkshire Dales) I haven't managed to run out of battery yet though I haven't done above twenty miles per trip on it. The back rack will hold panniers and remain steady. The front basket is really useful. The lock on the rear tyre is good and saves messing about with bike locks. I use it most in Pedal Assist mode so I can put power on when I need it though you can use it without having to pedal at all after the initial setting off till the power kicks in.

Weaknesses:
The battery is heavy! The bike is heavy to manoeuvre. It's difficult to lift onto a bike rack though two people can do it.....

Summary:
This bike changed my life! I hadn't heard of electric bikes till a search for a new bike on the net brought the possibility of electric up. I have problems with my knees and found it difficult to ride a bike- I pushed my old one a lot, especially uphill and now I can go anywhere without a huge amount of effort. I use the bike much more than I thought I would. Cycling friends have been amazed at the performance of the Powabyke Shopper and I'm very pleased with it.

Overall Rating: 8

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Reviewer: C.A.Hackett

Retailer: Wadebridge

Purchase Price: £630

Time Owned: 3 years

Terrain: Some minor hills

Strengths:
As a partially disabled person the bike enables me to get around more than I would be able without it.

Weaknesses:
I have owned many ordinary bikes but never one that has rusted so quickly. There is hardly a metal part that is not suffering from severe rust

Summary:
The principle is good but the quality of the finish is dreadful

Overall Rating: 3

joanna

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
Retailer: Argos

Purchase Price: £549

Time Owned: 3 weeks

Terrain: N/A

Strengths: readily avaliable

Weaknesses: Poor construction, shoddy metal work caused gashes on my hand, no instructions on how to assemble or how to deal with any problems, didn't work, very heavy, looks terrible,

Summary: I thought I would try this bike to see what an electric bike was like (there being no local shops). It was dreadful. The finish was very poor and I ended up with blood all over it due to sharp metal. Once put together I couldn't take it out of the house on my own (and I am not that weak!) as it was too heavy. Ultimatly it didn't work, when the power was turned on it made the front wheel stick, so it could not be turned at all, and it was so heavy it was near impossible to cycle with no power. The only redeming feature was that it made me look at other bikes more wide afield and I appreciate them all the more!

Overall Rating: 0 - or can I do minus numbers?