PowaCycle Lynx Lightweight Folding Bike - battery

MorganMadplus8

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2008
Hereford
Hi,

A simple technical question about the above bike. The bike works very well for about 13 miles and then the first green light goes out and within a few hundred yards the electrics cut out completely. :( No sign of life at all unless the key switch is turned to off and then to on. All lights appear for a short distance and then off it goes again. Is this the normal behaviour one would expect when the battery is discharged. It would be nice to see some form of prior warning before it cuts out. The battery has only been charged 5 times since new.

Many thanks for reading and hopefully someone will know the answer.

Neil

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not normally as abrupt as that Neil. That behaviour is common when the bettery is failing to deliver current at a sufficiently high rate, the safety cutout operating. Switching off then on again resets that, but if subjected to high load again it just repeats the cutting out.

If your area is very hilly, that might be fairly normal at about 13 miles range when starting a climb, but hopefully some Lynx owners will share their experiences.

Engineer

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2008
Oxfordshire
Not much help to you, but I have exactly the same situation on my Alien Titan bought about a month ago. After around 7 to 8 miles the first LED goes out and a few minutes later all lights go out and the battery dies. After waiting a few minutes two lights come back on but the battery cuts out again almost immediately.

MorganMadplus8

May 25, 2008
Hereford
It's not normally as abrupt as that Neil. That behaviour is common when the bettery is failing to deliver current at a sufficiently high rate, the safety cutout operating. Switching off then on again resets that, but if subjected to high load again it just repeats the cutting out.

If your area is very hilly, that might be fairly normal at about 13 miles range when starting a climb, but hopefully some Lynx owners will share their experiences.
Flecc - It was in Norfolk which is very flat and no steep hills, so I suspect around Herefordshire where I live, it would be a lot less. The annoying part is that my wife's Quando II carried on as normal, whilst she just smiled and said "Its only 4 miles to the car". :mad:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That sounds odd then, you should get a better progression down the lights before failure. I think you should check with the supplier about the normal behaviour for the battery meter.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Hi Neil,

I was having that same problem when i cycled in 2nd gear only - the lights would go out with very little warning at around 16 miles on short slopes.

However, I wasnt putting much pedal effort in and I found that using higher gears going up hill conserved the battery for longer and the lights didnt go out so quickly.

I would be interested to know what the shop says about your problem so please let us know the outcome.

UrbanPuma

MorganMadplus8

May 25, 2008
Hereford
Eventually, I received a reply from the retailer and basically he stated that this is normal for the type of battery used. Evidently you don't get much warning when the battery is nearly discharged:(

If I could find a way of switching the power off easily without having to turn the key on the battery pack, I could the call for battery power when it is really needed. :)

Neil

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Neil, can't you just have it on motor power only mode (without pedelec) and just shut the throttle when you don't want power?

That's almost the same as switching off. According to the website it has a throttle only mode.

MorganMadplus8

May 25, 2008
Hereford
Flecc,

It seems to assist whatever position of the switch on the handlebar. It might be just my imagination of course, but I shall take it out on Friday and have a play to see what is actually happening - Thanks for your help and advice.

Neil

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Flecc,
It seems to assist whatever position of the switch on the handlebar. .
Neil
You are right Neil, the powacycle system provides assistance in either of the two modes so it is not possible to rely soley on throttle - the battery would have to be switched off using the key.

Engineer

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2008
Oxfordshire
On the Titan I just disconnected the wire running from the sensor on the crank.
I now have no pedal assistance, just the throttle.
By the way, I returned my battery to the supplier and await his report.

John

Jimblob

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2007
These batteries are a bit flakey we've had quite a few problems with them for one reason or another, and have therefore decided to stop selling the Lynx and Puma. Jamie, TETS.BIZ

MorganMadplus8

May 25, 2008
Hereford
On the Titan I just disconnected the wire running from the sensor on the crank.
I now have no pedal assistance, just the throttle.
By the way, I returned my battery to the supplier and await his report.

John
John,

Which wire are u talking about and do you have to dismantle the crank to get at it.

Thanks

Neil

Engineer

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2008
Oxfordshire
Hi Neil,

The wire in question is the one from the sensor that detects movement of the pedals telling the motor to start and provide motor assistance. I have disconnected this wire from the controller which is situated (on the titan) under the battery holder, under the saddle.
The battery holder case can be dismantled by undoing 4 nuts and bolts that hold
it together. Inside is the controller and by following the wire from the sensor I found it was joined to the controller with a connector which could be unclipped.

I now have no pedal assistance just control with the throttle which seems to suit me better.

Incidentally I had word from Bob at Alien bikes saying he had tested my battery and charger and thought there was some problems with it. He is sending out a new battery and charger.

Rgds

John

MorganMadplus8

May 25, 2008
Hereford
Hi Neil,

The wire in question is the one from the sensor that detects movement of the pedals telling the motor to start and provide motor assistance. I have disconnected this wire from the controller which is situated (on the titan) under the battery holder, under the saddle.
The battery holder case can be dismantled by undoing 4 nuts and bolts that hold
it together. Inside is the controller and by following the wire from the sensor I found it was joined to the controller with a connector which could be unclipped.

I now have no pedal assistance just control with the throttle which seems to suit me better.

Rgds

John
John,

Many thanks for the help. I found the wires from the crank sensor and unclipped the 3 wires. I now have throttle only control but the bike limits itself to 7 mph. Is this is what I should expect or I am right in thinking that two of the wires are providing feedback to the controller.

Regards

Neil :)

Engineer

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2008
Oxfordshire
Sorry Neil, I'll have to pass on that one. On the Titan there is no loss of speed. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the Lynx can help.

Rgds

John

MorganMadplus8

May 25, 2008
Hereford
John,

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated.

After reconnecting the crank sensor, I am still only doing 7mph, so its back to the drawing board. :confused:

Regards

Neil