Power issue

Martyn Dee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 25, 2019
Hi, I have recently bought a Powabyke which has developed power problem. The batteries seem to be fully charged and the indicator on the accelerator shows full charge , but when the bike is used it is only operating on reduced power.If I lift the front wheel and engage the drive it spins quick quickly, but when under stress from me riding it there is a marked lack of power and the battery charge monitor goes right down to almost zero. Does this mean the batteries need replacing or is something drawing the power off ? I would appreciate some advice if anybody knows what the issue night be .One last thing , do the motorised wheels on these have brushes ? Not sure if the model but it is a fairly old bike with the battery mounted on a duel cross bar ( not a shopper )

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi, I have recently bought a Powabyke which has developed power problem. The batteries seem to be fully charged and the indicator on the accelerator shows full charge , but when the bike is used it is only operating on reduced power.If I lift the front wheel and engage the drive it spins quick quickly, but when under stress from me riding it there is a marked lack of power and the battery charge monitor goes right down to almost zero. Does this mean the batteries need replacing or is something drawing the power off ? I would appreciate some advice if anybody knows what the issue night be .One last thing , do the motorised wheels on these have brushes ? Not sure if the model but it is a fairly old bike with the battery mounted on a duel cross bar ( not a shopper )
It sounds like that you have a Li-ion battery and you have let the charge slip below the minimum, which means that a safety circuitry now prevents charging.
You need to take it to a bike battery shop where they can recover the battery, if you are lucky. As a special charger called a Zero Volt Charger is needed, I only know one company that sells them, and only for nominal 6 volt batteries. For any other voltage, you need the bike shop..
Just a possibility.
regards
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Brushed motor electric bikes normally have lead batteries, which are completely different. They don't have any management or shut-off system. You can tell what you have by the weight. Lead batteries are bloody heavy,

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
It sounds like that you have a Li-ion battery and you have let the charge slip below the minimum, which means that a safety circuitry now prevents charging.
You need to take it to a bike battery shop where they can recover the battery, if you are lucky. As a special charger called a Zero Volt Charger is needed, I only know one company that sells them, and only for nominal 6 volt batteries. For any other voltage, you need the bike shop..
Just a possibility.
regards
Andy
I meant 36 volts, not 6 volt, sorry!!