Powering LED Headlight from the Controller

Garry Cooper

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 28, 2016
London
Can anybody advise how I can step down the voltage from 36 volts available at an output on my Controller down to 5 -7 volts to power a LED Front Headlamp.
Its a 500 watt EBC kit - I dont really want to use the USB port on the battery as I think it will suffer from water ingress, is there a simple step down component available ???
Thanks in anticipation

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Going back to my college days, when doing C&G Electronics 2240, which was about 20 years ago, but from memory something like a Zenner Diode should do the job, if you can find one that is rated 7v, being DC it should be quite simple to to.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Outstanding d8veh and IR772, well having been out of the game for 20 years, I can definitely see that electronics have moved on a bit lol!

Superb solution to the OP's question, well done to the both of you.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Outstanding d8veh and IR772, well having been out of the game for 20 years, I can definitely see that electronics have moved on a bit lol!

Superb solution to the OP's question, well done to the both of you.
Rohloffboy-
Check my post here:
12 volt and usb power sockets on e-bikes

No replies yet from anyone-maybe that forum thread is not used much.
If you connect one of these to a ciggie socket, you can power anything and draw up to 3 amps at 12 volts. If you don't need the 12v socket you can get a 5v version and hard wire it.
Cheers, Tony.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/12-volt-and-usb-power-sockets-on-e-bikes.25308/