Price difference

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
I'm thinking of buying the orbea gain, with drop bars, single chain ring and wide tyres. The d31 has all 3 at £2600. The d50 has double chain ring but thinner tyres at £1800 and the f40 has single ring, wide tyres but flat bars at £1700.
The d31 has sram rival components, are these really worth the extra £800/£900 over the claris and altus parts.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i dunno go find the parts and add them up ;)

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Don't know but someday you may need that doubble chainring and it could save you a Hart attack if you ever have an electric fault or run out of juice. Peddling an ebike with no assist up hills isn't fun even with the 2nd chainring and a 40 cassette. I rode 30 miles and ran out of juice in the Last five miles in the peak district before I could charge. I severely regretted thinking I could go another few miles on full assist before I went to eco mode. I didn't make the same mistake on the way back I arrived home with 20% battery power. But then they weigh less than mine try them both out on the road

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
then buy the cheap one and add more gears later tho imo its a pita on a race bike.

my bb is a motor ;)

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Find a really good steep hill and try to peddle them both up it without assist and you could decide you want to pay the extra or just take the cheaper option and have them convert it. If they don't want to do it walk away and they will probably call you back

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
then buy the cheap one and add more gears later tho imo its a pita on a race bike.

my bb is a motor ;)
Want less gears not more, never had gears before so the double ring would leave me looking down trying to work out what gear i'm in rather than looking where i'm going.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Want less gears not more, never had gears before so the double ring would leave me looking down trying to work out what gear i'm in rather than looking where i'm going.
You will use the big chainring all the time but you wont touch the small one and forget its there but when you need it trust me you will know its there. Single chanrings are all the rage but that's on normal road bikes. Cadance is what is important on any bike. 2 is simply better than 1 cadance is power. More gears is more power and if you run out of battery you will love the cadance a 2nd chainring gives you. Have you had an ebike?

Last edited:

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
You will use the big chainring all the time but you wont touch the small one and forget its there but when you need it trust me you will know its there. Single chanrings are all the rage but that's on normal road bikes. Cadance is what is important on any bike. 2 is simply better than 1 cadance is power. More gears is more power and if you run out of battery you will love the cadance a 2nd chainring gives you
Cheers, you've convinced me and probably saved me £800.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0152.JPG DSC_0150.JPG
i got 2 :D

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Cheers, you've convinced me and probably saved me £800.
You can upgrade your bike as you go along and find out what you want but I like 2 chainrings. You know giant puts the same motor in all there new ebikes. Have a look at those too. Don't just jump in and buy a bike. Look at all the options and pick one that's the best value for the money. My advice save the 800 and buy another battery and keep them in good order then upgrade what you want as you get a feel for the bike. Keep your spare battery lowish power but charge it and use it once every few week or so unless your going on a big ride then take it with you. I wish I had anther battery it's my next purchase

Last edited:

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
I have a Giant E+1 2017 it's an awesome bike with all the best gear and I really love the bike. I go off road and on road but use mainly on the road. Its got an 11-40 cassete with a chanring 38 tooth big ring. It's not fast enough for me so I'm upgrading to a bigger chainring to get better road speeds. I love the bike but I'm a bit of a speed freak and love to tear up the road and trails. There's no reason you can't have your cake and eat it just choose the right cake

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I have a Giant E+1 2017 it's an awesome bike with all the best gear and I really love the bike. I go off road and on road but use mainly on the road. Its got an 11-40 cassete with a chanring 38 tooth big ring. It's not fast enough for me so I'm upgrading to a bigger chainring to get better road speeds. I love the bike but I'm a bit of a speed freak and love to tear up the road and trails. There's no reason you can't have your cake and eat it just choose the right cake
10-50 eagle, 20t-18t front so 2.5x ratio=50/44 ur fooked ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20t = 50t normal size chain ring thus thats 2.5 bosch gearing ratio why there so small ;)

so 16t would be 40t normal size.