Pro Connect Bolt warning.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Another problem, though small with my Pro Connect today.
Heard a loud clicking sound coming from the bike around the motor for the last few days.
I had time to look at it today and found the retaining bolt to the chain tensioner was hanging off. It had worked itself nearly off.
Thank God the bolt was just hanging on by a thread.
Took it apart, cleaned it and reassembled it. To put the parts back together was a task and more cus the spring is very very fiddley.
The bike was 1 week past a general clean and bolt retighten, although this bolt is not one I have ever focused on to tell you the truth.

Lesson learned.....
Be particular to tighten the chain tensioner retaining bolt weekly.

Now the bike rides better and is practically silent as the bike always made a slight clicking noise in operation.
This makes me believe that this bolt was never tight on delivery to start with...
Another poor outcome on the whole.
BE WARNED !!!!! KEEP TIGHTENING THIS BABY !!!

Another thing to add to my 6 month review come December.
"Pre Delivery inspection was poor on the whole".

Anyone else had this problem ?

Regards Bob.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, several have had the same trouble with this latest Panasonic unit Bob.

The geometry of the tensioner arm has been changed from that on the previous version and that seems to be the problem. The same warning has been sounded before by at least two other members, and your reminder is timely for all owners of the later Panasonic motored bikes to keep an eye on the tensioner security and free action.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Another problem, though small with my Pro Connect today.
Heard a loud clicking sound coming from the bike around the motor for the last few days.
I had time to look at it today and found the retaining bolt to the chain tensioner was hanging off. It had worked itself nearly off.
Thank God the bolt was just hanging on by a thread.
Took it apart, cleaned it and reassembled it. To put the parts back together was a task and more cus the spring is very very fiddley.
The bike was 1 week past a general clean and bolt retighten, although this bolt is not one I have ever focused on to tell you the truth.

Lesson learned.....
Be particular to tighten the chain tensioner retaining bolt weekly.

Now the bike rides better and is practically silent as the bike always made a slight clicking noise in operation.
This makes me believe that this bolt was never tight on delivery to start with...
Another poor outcome on the whole.
BE WARNED !!!!! KEEP TIGHTENING THIS BABY !!!

Another thing to add to my 6 month review come December.
"Pre Delivery inspection was poor on the whole".

Anyone else had this problem ?

Regards Bob.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

although i dont have one yet, as sold my Quando and things arose which did not let me get a replacement, i think it would be a good idea if a complete checklist of things to look at on inspection dates would be a good thing, bit by bit different things come up from postings on here but unless you are in from the start and list them down if its your particular bike you wont either have them all or remember them all....so maybe some keen enthusiastic biker would compile a checklist ??

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have had this same problem as well. I find that dirt thrown up off the road collects in the spring and on the plain section of the retaining bolt. The dirt and grit then works its way into the clearance between the plain section of the bolt bolt and the bearing surface on the tensioner arm causing it to become stiff. Eventually it becomes so stiff that the constant movement of the tensioner starts to work the bolt loose.

The only solution that I have found is to remove the arm completely every couple of hundred miles and clean everything. Then re assemble with plenty of lubricant.

I have noticed that the plain section of the bolt is now starting to become a little bit pitted but the tensioner works fine as long as it is kept clean and lubricated. The bike has now done just over 1000 miles.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The only solution that I have found is to remove the arm completely every couple of hundred miles and clean everything. Then re assemble with plenty of lubricant.
This is good advice, but for those who don't want the effort or don't feel up to doing it, a liberal squirt of WD40 or similar on the arm pivot at regular intervals will probably be sufficient to wash out the dirt and keep it free running.

RedSkywalker

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2008
Is it common to bikes in general?

I ask because I also have noticed a very faint click from the back somewhere and reading the thread it seems like it might be a common fault.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Is it common to bikes in general?

I ask because I also have noticed a very faint click from the back somewhere and reading the thread it seems like it might be a common fault.
I would check your rear wheel spokes and nipples for tightness:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do you think this problem may occur on the Agattu as well?

BW
musicbooks
Yes it does and has done in a couple of instances. It's common to all the new type Panasonic units. Whether it occurs or not will vary according to how free the arm pivot is and the amount of road dirt that collects on it. An occasional check to see if it's both securely bolted on but still pivoting freely should suffice, and the occasional use of WD40 as I described wouldn't go amiss.

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
Yes - this happened on my Agattu (actually a Raleigh, but the same) - the nut came completely off and the chain came off the motor sprocket. My wife cycled all the way back from work, puzzling over why it seemed such hard work that particular day. I replaced it with a nut which had an integral plastic locking thingy and so far no problems.

I do like the idea of telling people to check that their nipples are not loose.

Last edited: