Pro Connect brakes

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
I need to replace my rear brake blocks on my pro connect.
I can see they are Shimano Deore XT M770 V-Brakes.

What do I ask for in the bike shop?

Hope anyone can help.

Regards Bob.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have ordered some of these Shimano XTR XT / XTR V-brake replacement cartridge insert (f..

Ignore the picture it is wrong.

I have just been into the garage with the intention of fitting them but when I got what I thought was the worn set out, they didn't look too bad. How do you know when they are worn out? There is no wear line on the existing set or the new ones. Is it just a case of catching them before the metal carrier gets too friendly with the rim!!!

Incidently, I went out for a 40 mile ride with a friend on Tuesday in very foul weather. Part of the ride involved a long downhill section with tight turns. Consequently, I was on the brakes for the whole of that section. The road grit was clinging to the rim due to the wet and I think that one section of the ride put more wear on the rims and blocks than the previous 1000 + miles.

My friend has a non assisted Giant Escape R8. This is fitted with Shimano Roller brakes that incorporate a large heat sink Shimano Nexus Inter-M BR-IM70 Hub Roller Brake Only £31.49

I was very impressed with the brake. It seems very powerful and he said that he didn't experience any brake fade. I am thinking that this might be a worthwhile upgrade to the rear (if it will fit???). Especially as I can see that rim wear is going to be a problem and I have one of the 24 spoke jobbies which I believe aren't that easy to source. Anyone have any experience of the roller brake and if it can be retro fitted? I imagine there must be a torque arm involved which will need anchoring.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
What indicates that the pad is in need of replacement? My pads have just about worn down to the grooves. There is no wear line on the side of the pad, so what is the indication.

regards

Tom

Edit: Does anyone have any thoughts on the use of the hub type roller brake?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Edit: Does anyone have any thoughts on the use of the hub type roller brake?
Not very good thoughts Tom. They are very weak and also suffer from delay in biting. Applying more pressure still leaves the delay but when they do bite eventually it can be a bit too much then. When used on heavier bikes like e-bikes, the cooling disc is recommended, but it's a part of the slack roller assembly so can rattle annoyingly when not in use. Their weight limit is 100 kilos which can be exceeded with an e-bike and heavy rider.

I think they are most suited to a normal utility bike operating at moderate speeds, and an owner could then appreciate the freedom from maintenance without the downsides.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Not very good thoughts Tom. They are very weak and also suffer from delay in biting. Applying more pressure still leaves the delay but when they do bite eventually it can be a bit too much then. When used on heavier bikes like e-bikes, the cooling disc is recommended, but it's a part of the slack roller assembly so can rattle annoyingly when not in use. Their weight limit is 100 kilos which can be exceeded with an e-bike and heavy rider.

I think they are most suited to a normal utility bike operating at moderate speeds, and an owner could then appreciate the freedom from maintenance without the downsides.
Thanks for that. Ithink I will easilly exceed the 100 Kilos with the weight of the bike + panniers + me. I think I'll stick with the V brakes.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Jeez*z.., Now ye tell me.. after spendin' 80 squids on a service at 50c ;)

bw
Tom
Im not bike friendly person, but I think the "winter service" is robbery.
Most of the things can be done yourself.
I would feel that you should have the bearings looked at in a year.
The local bike shop said they would do a basic service with a focus on the bearings for £25.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Im not bike friendly person, but I think the "winter service" is robbery.
Most of the things can be done yourself.
I would feel that you should have the bearings looked at in a year.
The local bike shop said they would do a basic service with a focus on the bearings for £25.
I'm not so sure the 50 cycles thing is a bad deal, it's fairly labour intensive and includes the shipping cost. I bet the LBS won't clean it or test all the electrics for £25.
Anyway I won't be getting a service done in any shop because:
1) All the time the shop has my bike then I don't. :(
2) Any worn parts they replace will cost more or be inferior than if I source them myself.
3) I have to do each job at least once, I hate the idea that I'm not capable of doing something. If the job is more trouble than it's worth then next time I'll pay someone but I have to do the first one.

RobinC

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2009
Bristol

My Mums Nexus-8 bike has one of these on the back. The braking response can be a bit non-linear but for a back brake on a utility bike I think they are OK. Some of the smaller roller brakes further down the Shimano scale are even weedier.
Shimano is bringing out an improved version:
Search for BR-IM80

Robin

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
My Mums Nexus-8 bike has one of these on the back. The braking response can be a bit non-linear but for a back brake on a utility bike I think they are OK. Some of the smaller roller brakes further down the Shimano scale are even weedier.
Shimano is bringing out an improved version:
Search for BR-IM80

Robin
A word of caution regarding the use of the Nexus roller brakes on a ProConnect.

Shimano do NOT recommend that they are used in conjunction with the semi-radial spoke arrangement of the WH-8R25 rear wheel used on the ProConnect.
"This product is designed exclusively for use with rim brakes.
It cannot be used with hub roller brakes."

Having said that, I found that the Nexus roller brake was very effective on the rear wheel of the ezee Torq, coupled with a powerful Magura HS11 rim brake on the front.

Anyone wanting to use the Nexus roller brake on the rear of the ProConnect can do this by using the newer Shimano SG-8R36, 8 gear hub, and more traditional 36 spoke tangential spoke lacing to the rim.

James

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Having said that, I found that the Nexus roller brake was very effective on the rear wheel of the ezee Torq, coupled with a powerful Magura HS11 rim brake on the front.

James
You're the first person I've known saying the Nexus roller brake on the Torq was very effective James. It was the subject of widespread complaint at the time of the Torq's popularity for it's weakness and I was pleased to get rid of mine and replace it with a V brake. The delay in braking response and lack of a relationship between action and reaction are the things I dislike most about these brakes.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
You're the first person I've known saying the Nexus roller brake on the Torq was very effective James. It was the subject of widespread complaint at the time of the Torq's popularity for it's weakness and I was pleased to get rid of mine and replace it with a V brake. The delay in braking response and lack of a relationship between action and reaction are the things I dislike most about these brakes.
I think it is just riding style. I rather like a strong front brake and a gentler back brake.

Under pressure, I can lock the back wheel of the Torq, but normally I am happy to use it quite lightly.

Possibly the Torq was unusual in having a standard front wheel/brake arrangement that tended to vibrate badly when the brakes were applied. If nothing was done to rectify the vibration, there was a tendency to rely more heavily on the rear brake.

Changing the spoke lacing and using the Magura rim brake improved the front braking tremendously, leaving me happy with a less fierce rear brake.

James

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was fortunate in not having the front brake problem on my one, possibly through retensioning and truing the front wheel at the outset. Like you I rely on the front brake most and am happy with light rear braking, but it's the lack of a direct and immediate relationship between input and braking I dislike. I like the relationship to be precise.