Pro-rider Motor Spinning but not turning wheel

WelshWrangler

Just Joined
Sep 23, 2020
Hi Everyone!

My name is Sam, I've had an electric bike for a couple of years now and bought another non runner last week as a bit of a cheap project/fixer upper etc. I normally tinker and build cars etc but I have been learning and enjoying about the world of e-bikes. Its a Pro-rider E-tourer. It was sold as not working and only requiring a new LCD display but on carrying out some simple tests I quickly found out that the speed controller was dead. The old LCD display was worn and damaged and I think the previous owner had just assumed that was the reason for it not working and had not done any testing etc.

So I have fitted a new speed controller and LCD display. When you twist the throttle you can hear the motor working and after a few seconds the rear wheel starts to spin but you can easily stop the wheel with your hand. So I am guessing there is an issue with the clutch/freewheeling gears? Before I start pulling the motor apart I would appreciate some guidance from the experts!

Cheers

Sam

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are three possibilities for your problem: Internal gears worn so they can't engage, clutch not engaging or the motor running backwards.

If the motor turns the wheel forward, it's the clutch or gears that need replacing, which don't cost much and it's easy to do. You have to open the motor for that. How easy that is, depends on which motor it is. Show clear photos from each side if you don't know what it is.

If the motor turns the wheel backwards, then it's a connection issue unless you have a controller with auto phase/hall wire configuration or self-learning. Obviously if it's a self-learning one, you have to do the self-learning procedure. Auto ones can't be changed unless they have the wires for the reverse function.

WelshWrangler

Just Joined
Sep 23, 2020
Thank you for the detailed reply! I’m fairly happy that it’s not an issue with the phase wires and motor running the wrong way as the wheel does spin the correct way.

I will post some photos later.
Cheers

Sam

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's easy because you can take it apart from either side. Take off every nut and washer. photograph them before separating so you can put them back in the drop-outs the same way. There's no need to take the gears off unless there is a nut inside that you can't get at. Remove the 6 screws on the gears side and tap the opposite side axle through with a soft mallet, whilst holding the wire well into its slot.

I think you can leave the brake in place as long as there's no nut that you can't get at it.

WelshWrangler

Just Joined
Sep 23, 2020
Thanks for the help! I managed to partially disable it and open the motor up on the gear side. I was not able to open it all the way as I could not remove the gear cassette. However I have regressed the gears and now it working perfectly! So for £60 and a ebay controller we now have a fully functional bike :)

Advertisers