Problem after adjusting battery connections

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Last night i tidied up and reconnected all the connectors on my 48v a123 battery pack,when i tried to recconect it to the bike,it was sparking like a positive touching a negative,i tried disconnecting lights,and charging wires and eventually bypassing the on off switch wiring, just connecting it to the red and black controller wires,but still sparks,today i tried the battery on another controller just the red and black connectors only,and had the same result,the battery is reading the normal 54.3 volts, and i am connecting the positive lead to the red controller wire,any ideas what i could have done.

D

Deleted member 4366

You always get big sparks when you connect a battery to a controller. That's a good sign.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Sparking is normal when connecting the battery - it's the big current inrush charging up thew controllers capacitors.

You can make a pre charge lead if it bothers you, but at only 48v I wouldn't bother.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks for the replys,it has never happened before when connecting,i think i missed out the on off switch,and the resulting sparks made me very wary, anyway all working again now sort of,i have had a few problems with it cutting out recently,when going over bumps or when switching on,i thought it was a loose connection, but am now finding very slight movement of the key in my old torq on off switch is cutting the power, what new new switch is recommended or can you take it apart and clean the contacts or something.