Problem inflating "slimed" tubes

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
I am having a problem inflating the tyres of my KTM and my wife's Freego Eagle, both of which have "slimed" tubes. I use a Leyzene Classic Floor pump with a threaded connection to the Schrader valves on both bikes. The problem seems to be caused by the slime causing too much pressure for the threaded connector to screw on and is particularly bad with the rear tyre of the Freego, so much so that I had to hold the connector in place with both hands while my granddaughter operated the piston (no mean feat when the pressure is approaching 60 psi!).

Previously I had a Topeak Joe Blow turbo pump with the clamp-on type connector which simply blew off the valve whenever I started pumping.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you overcome it? As a last resort I could fit new tubes without slime however I like the added protection.

Any comments or advice welcome.

Jim

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I would also add that you may need to remove the valve and clear it out, making sure that the valve is at the top of the rotation to ensure all the slime sits at the bottom of the tube.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The slime is not intelligent, it is trying to seal the valve as if it were a puncture.

Next stage - if it hasn't happened already - is the slime will attempt to seal the connector on your pump.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Thanks all for your advice which I'll take on board. I'd already tried keeping the valve at the top of the wheel to allow the slime to sink but hadn't tried pushing the valve core in. RobF - yes, the slime has tried to seal the connector which I've cleaned out a few times. On the plus side, it explains why I rarely have to inflate the tyres. Thanks again.

Jim

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Further to my original post I'm still having great difficulty trying to inflate my tyres with the Lezyne pump despite following all advice. Inflation is possible but it is a two-person job - one to manually clamp the connector to the valve and the other to operate the pump. I've also come to the conclusion that the problem isn't caused by the slime but by the fact that the connector at the end of the pump hose overlaps the end of the valve by several millimetres before starting to engage the thread. This causes the connector to activate the plunger in the valve before a good connection is made resulting in the connector being blasted off by the escaping air.

I've considered buying a new connector however I suspect the result would be the same. I've also emailed Lezyne for any advice but have yet to receive a reply.

Today I successfully inflated the tyres after digging out an old Halfords car footpump which I had written off!

This post is mainly for info as I can't think of anything which would get the Leyzyne pump to work - pity, as it's quite a nice piece of kit but useless if it doesn't do the job.

Jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Further to my original post I'm still having great difficulty trying to inflate my tyres with the Lezyne pump
This is rather odd Jim, since the reviews of your pump all praise it's abilities. I'm wondering if it's the bike's fitted inner tubes that are the problem, the threaded valve tube of the inner tube a bit on the short side and leaving the Schrader insert too far out for the connector?

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
This is rather odd Jim, since the reviews of your pump all praise it's abilities. I'm wondering if it's the bike's fitted inner tubes that are the problem, the threaded valve tube of the inner tube a bit on the short side and leaving the Schrader insert too far out for the connector?
That may be what it is however it's happening with both bikes - my KTM and my wife's Freego. As far as reviews are concerned, I would agree with you that most are favourable however, while researching this I found one reviewer whose experience seemed to mirror my own. Unfortunately he didn't provide a solution.

I'm a bit happier now that I've found that my old footpump is up to the job, although I seem to remember that I gave up on it when it failed with a previous bike. Time will tell.

Jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
while researching this I found one reviewer whose experience seemed to mirror my own. Unfortunately he didn't provide a solution.
Seems like the connector recess is probably borderline then, when it meets a borderline inner tube valve the problem occurring. Something Lezyne really need to give attention to.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Seems like the connector recess is probably borderline then, when it meets a borderline inner tube valve the problem occurring. Something Lezyne really need to give attention to.
I agree. I've now had an email from Leyzene asking for a "picture down the barrel of the chuck" so I'll do that as best I can and see what transpires.

Jim

Reactions: flecc

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
For information - update and conclusion of inflation problem.

After examining pictures I sent, a Lezyne rep suggested that although he couldn't see anything faulty it was possible I had been screwing the chuck on too far and had damaged the threads. He suggested I claim under warranty as the pump was under 2 years old. I didn't do this as it seemed the fault was mine and the pump itself is in working order. Instead I ordered a replacement chuck which arrived today and worked perfectly after being screwed on with caution!

I need hardly say I am pleased with the outcome and with the service from Lezyne. I have always been guilty of overtightening things as my wife has reminded me.

The slime, of course, was just a red herring (or green in this case). :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all advice given.

Jim