Problem with BBSHD switching off

arrkaye

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 13, 2017
london
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with a new BBSHD build that I'm hoping you can help me with.

The build works fine on PAS or throttle for a little while, and then switches off. Trying to switch on again shows the logo briefly and then switches off again.

The only way to "fix" it is to remove the battery and reseat, after which it works again for a little while until it happens again.

Please help with any thoughts or ideas as to what it could be so I can rule things out.

Thank you.

D

Deleted member 4366

By switching off, do you mean that the display goes off? If so, it's the supply from the battery that's being interrupted. Is the battery up to the job?

arrkaye

Nov 13, 2017
london
Yes, the display goes off, throttle stops working, it turns off.

Turning it on again shows the logo briefly and then it switches off again.

The battery is a 52V 14ah battery from a reputable source. It was working just fine a week ago for some long rides. Now it doesn't stay on for more then about 10 mins.

Removing and reseating the battery brings it to life again, for another 10 minutes or so.

D

Deleted member 4366

The flashing on of the display is when there's no battery supply, so it gets a brief start from the controller's capacitor, which is like a tiny battery. You get the same if you forget to switch on your battery or even forget to put it on the bike. The LCD will only flash once until the capacitor is discharged.

You must measure the battery voltage hot off the charger and again immediately after it's cut-off to see what the problem is. Assuming that it will show zero volts when it cuts off, wait until it comes back on, then measure again. Those results will tell us what's wrong.

arrkaye

Nov 13, 2017
london
It's different to the flash from a discharging capacitor. As if I switch it on again, it flashes again and then powers off. A capacitor would only flash once.

The battery measures about 54v consistently, so I don't think it's the BMS cutting out.

As I mentioned, removing the battery and reseating it restores everything to normal.

It's almost as if something has tripped in the controller, and removing the power source causes it to reset and restores function until it trips again. Is there anything like that?