problems round the pedels

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
Hi looking to see if this sound like a simple thing or take it to a dealer thing.
a bunch of things happend today
things be came jerky on pedelc (twist power fine)
chain gard seams very lose and rattely
moving the pedals backward freeweel requires a bit more effort.
and when the pedals move there is a squeekeing that reminds me of pvc or leather rubbing together.
<edit>
after watching some dude name bits on his bike the bit that making the funny noise is the bottom bracket i think
seems like a pain for a new bike(two month ish)
</edit>

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
It sounds like either something is jammed in there or the chain guard has come loose and is rubbing the chain ring (Big cog at the front).
Do the pedals feel obviously wobbly? If not then the BB is probably not the problem.
I would try the following:
Look for loose or missing screws and bolts that hold the chain guard on, tighten and replace as required.
Check the pedelec disk is close to the sensor and not at an angle.
Take the chain off the front cog and see if the pedals still have a problem.
Finally remove the chain guard and take a close look to see if anything is rubbing.
Unfortunately bikes need a fair bit of maintenance and I get quite a few teething problems on new bikes, it gets much easier the second time you do a job.

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
i took a further look at this last night (after a glass of wine :>)
i removed the plasic mudgard and looked a bit closer. The Disk opposit the sensor feels sold and not wobbly.
the metal mount for the mudgard is loose and tunrns freely.
the senor is loos and moves freely.
there is 2 mm of lateral movment on thease componets.
the squeek /grind is comming from inside the main part of the bike when the crank are turned.

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
i took a further look at this last night (after a glass of wine :>)
i removed the plasic mudgard and looked a bit closer. The Disk opposit the sensor feels sold and not wobbly.
the metal mount for the mudgard is loose and tunrns freely.
the senor is loos and moves freely.
there is 2 mm of lateral movment on thease componets.
the squeek /grind is comming from inside the main part of the bike when the crank are turned.
That doesn't sound good. :(
I'm not sure how the sensor is fastened so I can't help there and it sounds like your Bottom Bracket needs to be checked. Dismantling the BB is not difficult but the design may have changed, tell Norman at Wisper about it and he'll advise you how to rectify the problems. service@wisperbikes.com
Fortunately both should be easy to fix but that's not very comforting when you don't know how a BB comes apart. It's a shame that the BB can't be changed for a maintenance free type.

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
Thanks i have droped him a mail and asked him mail.
what is this maintenance free BB you speek and why cant i have one.
i like "maintenance free" it has nice ring to it :~)
davidk

Norman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2008
Problem around the pedals

I have replied to your E mail with some information to hopefully help sort this problem out.

Norman

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Retaining ring

David

Sounds like the retaining ring that holds the chain guard support may have come loose. This also secures the pedelec sensor.

I am attaching a photo that shows all the bottom bracket components (for two different bikes - yours are on the left of the picture). Its the ring at the bottom left hand corner that is probably the culprit.

bottbrackcompar 100.jpg

It really needs a special spanner to tighten it so it may be better left to your usual dealer ( Edinburgh Cycles).

Did they sort out the high low switch for you out of interest? I sent them a spare for you just to be on the safe side

Although this ring sounds like it is loose it should not cause any problems with the bearings in the bottom bracket as the adjustment is from the other side of the bike but please let me know if you have any concerns.

Best regards Norman

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Hi looking to see if this sound like a simple thing or take it to a dealer thing.
a bunch of things happend today
things be came jerky on pedelc (twist power fine)
chain gard seams very lose and rattely
moving the pedals backward freeweel requires a bit more effort.
and when the pedals move there is a squeekeing that reminds me of pvc or leather rubbing together.
<edit>
after watching some dude name bits on his bike the bit that making the funny noise is the bottom bracket i think
seems like a pain for a new bike(two month ish)
</edit>
It could be the BB's bearings being smashed. Try to have a look in there. I had a similar problem with my Bottom Bracket

Advertisers