Problems with DMHC TC488 E-Bike controllers from China

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
SAM_1485.JPG I bought a cheap e-bike about a year ago and with only a few minor problems, have ridden it most happily for almost a year now, rain or shine. But a few weeks ago, we had a major rain storm, that got into the LCD controller, which eventually caused a short in the motor driver electronics, though they did not get wet as they are buried in the frame.
I decided to replace the unit with an identical one, but found that the company DMHC, simply does not want to sell to anyone but bike manufacturers, ones based only in China!
I have looked in Germany, the USA and of course, the UK, on ebay and Amazon, as well as the IoT!
Nowhere are the various products of this particular company to be found.....
So I would like to give a warning to anyone buying an e-bike, that you should check, on the LCD display if fitted, for the letters (very styled and difficult to recognise) DMHC. Even though their products have lots of really nice extra features, you may well get into trouble trying to get replacement parts.
For me this makes any e-bike using DMHC parts, very unattractive indeed. I will never be "caught" again by their products, and I feel that anyone considering a possible purchase, needs to be warned before parting with any cash!
So, at the end of the day, be very wary, as there are plenty of similar units on other bikes, from other manufacturers, with usually less features, but far easier to repair and replace.
The company concerned simply does not even bother to reply to any emails, of which I have sent 7 over the last 10 days or so!! It apparently likes to sell only 100 units at a time!!!
I am adding a picture of the label on the transistor driver, but the LCD monitor also has the same initials on it, assuming one is fitted of course.
To make it really plain, I am not upset that it has gone wrong, I am only upset that I cannot replace it easily!!
Regards to all
Andy

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Welcome to the world of fixing ebikes:(I agree it is very frustrating when you find yourself in this position, but unfortunately it is very common. Most of the large Chinese manufacturers don't deal with private buyers, try the same with Bafang, they supply 1000's of OEM controllers, but refuse to deal with individuals and don't have any resellers. If you want to fix your bike, your best option is to replace the LCD and controller with KT components which are readily available.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Sine-Wave-controller/1314442_506798312.html?spm=2114.10010108.100008.8.57386d59RjDuuZ

The LCD3 screen has good features.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With these OEM only controllers, you have to buy the bike from a very good retailer who deal direct with China /Taiwan to source parts /bikes. Then you are in most cases are able to get spares. Wisper, Woosh, Juicy, Kudos are just four that spring to mind.
Cheap bikes can be fixed and as mentioned it means scraping the OEM components of controller & Led/Lcd and opting for Kunteng which are widely available or other sometimes cheaper options available on ebay or Aliexpress usually for less then £100, though some connectors and wiring/soldering skills are needed.
Alternately Woosh are entrepreneurial and will often sell component parts (usually Luishi) realising there is market for supply of components which aren't easy to source.
In all cases Lcd/Led's need matching with the same make of controller for them all to communicate with each other satisfactorily.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Welcome to the world of fixing ebikes:(I agree it is very frustrating when you find yourself in this position, but unfortunately it is very common. Most of the large Chinese manufacturers don't deal with private buyers, try the same with Bafang, they supply 1000's of OEM controllers, but refuse to deal with individuals and don't have any resellers. If you want to fix your bike, your best option is to replace the LCD and controller with KT components which are readily available.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Sine-Wave-controller/1314442_506798312.html?spm=2114.10010108.100008.8.57386d59RjDuuZ

The LCD3 screen has good features.
You are SOOOO right! Many thanks for you rpost.
I cannot find one with all the nice features that my original one had, sadly, so I have ordered one that is close, but has no USB charging, or brake light!!
regards
Andy

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
With these OEM only controllers, you have to buy the bike from a very good retailer who deal direct with China /Taiwan to source parts /bikes. Then you are in most cases are able to get spares. Wisper, Woosh, Juicy, Kudos are just four that spring to mind.
Cheap bikes can be fixed and as mentioned it means scraping the OEM components of controller & Led/Lcd and opting for Kunteng which are widely available or other sometimes cheaper options available on ebay or Aliexpress usually for less then £100, though some connectors and wiring/soldering skills are needed.
Alternately Woosh are entrepreneurial and will often sell component parts (usually Luishi) realising there is market for supply of components which aren't easy to source.
In all cases Lcd/Led's need matching with the same make of controller for them all to communicate with each other satisfactorily.
:):):):):):)