Problems with nearly new Oxygen e-mate MTB

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
I’ve been riding my Kalkhoff Endeavour for over a year now, and it’s been great, however I’ve taken a liking to riding some rougher tracks so have been fancying a MTB e-bike.

Many people here have commented about the Oxygen e-mate MTB 13Ah being a great machine for the money, so I decided to get one. I did check eBay to find a machine for sale that is only a couple of weeks old and has only covered 33 miles. I made an offer on the machine and received it today.

Unfortunately after being given the run-around by ParcelForce, I managed to collect the machine directly from their Leeds depot. Immediately it was obvious that the packaging was in a poor state and the bike had suffered a rough journey from the seller :( The main issue is that the battery had become detached from the machine and was rattling around inside the box… the battery has something rattling loose inside, it's sound like a piece of plastic has broken off somewhere inside,

Anywhoo, I’ve built up the bike to discover a couple of issues, firstly whilst the PAS appears to work, the throttle doesn’t. The throttle applies power for a second or two, but then power very gently. I suspect that this is a setting on the control panel - a Das-Kit D5 unit, but for the life of me I cannot work out how to change the relevant setting.

The biggest issue though, is after my first ride of less than 30 meters, I can hear the rear disc bind whilst cornering. A quick check has proved that there is play in the rear wheel, not much but enough to cause brake noise. I can’t imagine that the courier has caused this? The hub motor is a 8FUN CST, my first experience of such a motor. Should these have discernible side-to-side play? Since the bike is nearly new and has covered merely 30 odd miles, is this a manufacturing problem or can the play be easily adjusted?

So far, my experience with the Oxygen has just proved what a wonderful machine my Kalkhoff is...

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
I’ve been riding my Kalkhoff Endeavour for over a year now, and it’s been great, however I’ve taken a liking to riding some rougher tracks so have been fancying a MTB e-bike.

Many people here have commented about the Oxygen e-mate MTB 13Ah being a great machine for the money, so I decided to get one. I did check eBay to find a machine for sale that is only a couple of weeks old and has only covered 33 miles. I made an offer on the machine and received it today.

Unfortunately after being given the run-around by ParcelForce, I managed to collect the machine directly from their Leeds depot. Immediately it was obvious that the packaging was in a poor state and the bike had suffered a rough journey from the seller :( The main issue is that the battery had become detached from the machine and was rattling around inside the box… the battery has something rattling loose inside, it's sound like a piece of plastic has broken off somewhere inside,

Anywhoo, I’ve built up the bike to discover a couple of issues, firstly whilst the PAS appears to work, the throttle doesn’t. The throttle applies power for a second or two, but then power very gently. I suspect that this is a setting on the control panel - a Das-Kit D5 unit, but for the life of me I cannot work out how to change the relevant setting.

The biggest issue though, is after my first ride of less than 30 meters, I can hear the rear disc bind whilst cornering. A quick check has proved that there is play in the rear wheel, not much but enough to cause brake noise. I can’t imagine that the courier has caused this? The hub motor is a 8FUN CST, my first experience of such a motor. Should these have discernible side-to-side play? Since the bike is nearly new and has covered merely 30 odd miles, is this a manufacturing problem or can the play be easily adjusted?

So far, my experience with the Oxygen has just proved what a wonderful machine my Kalkhoff is...
Time to call intact seller,quote distance buying regulations and get a repair/refund I imagine,though you can hardly blame oxygen for the antics of a nihilistic courier

D

Deleted member 4366

The throttle is easy to fix. Look for threads on derestriction. The throttle mode is in the advanced settings next to he speed limit. Change the 6 to a zero.

There's a nut on the axle inboard of the drop-out that clamps the axle to the bearing so that there can't be any side to side freeplay. Maybe somebody loosened it when they took the wheel off to fix a puncture or something like that.

The Oxygen is a wonderful machine. You can't blame them because you want to make an adjustment on the throttle that you haven't even got on your Kalkhoff. The breakage is nothing to to with them. Your Kakhoff would have broken too, only it would be much more expensive to fix. You can buy a whole Oxydrive kit with battery, motor wheel and everything for less than the price of one of the Kalkhoff batteries. Your judgement seems to me to be unfounded and illogical.

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
Hello again,

Firstly, please let me apologise for the disparaging remarks regarding the Oxygen bike. It was the end of long and disappointing day, my frustration really lies with ParcelForce.

Any assistance provided by the good people here will be gratefully received.

Does anyone know where I can download a manual for the control panel on this bike? The Oxygen manual does not cover the settings and I'm struggling to work out how to access everything.

The rear hub play is worrying me, I believe the seller that he only had the bike for two weeks and 33 miles, I very much doubt that the rear wheel has been removed since it left the factory. I suppose the bike could have taken a hard knock whilst in the hands of the courier, but I cannot see any other evidence that this has happened.

Sorry again,

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
. I did check eBay to find a machine for sale that is only a couple of weeks old and has only covered 33 miles. I made an offer on the machine and received it today.
I hope you did not pay his asking price as at the time of his auction because you could of purchased a brand new one for £1 within a few days of his listing however he did offer it to me for £950 including delivery if we dealt outside of Ebay,but I decline although it seemed a good offer.

Last edited:

James Henderson

Just Joined
Jul 28, 2015
The throttle is easy to fix. Look for threads on derestriction. The throttle mode is in the advanced settings next to he speed limit. Change the 6 to a zero.

There's a nut on the axle inboard of the drop-out that clamps the axle to the bearing so that there can't be any side to side freeplay. Maybe somebody loosened it when they took the wheel off to fix a puncture or something like that.

The Oxygen is a wonderful machine. You can't blame them because you want to make an adjustment on the throttle that you haven't even got on your Kalkhoff. The breakage is nothing to to with them. Your Kakhoff would have broken too, only it would be much more expensive to fix. You can buy a whole Oxydrive kit with battery, motor wheel and everything for less than the price of one of the Kalkhoff batteries. Your judgement seems to me to be unfounded and illogical.
obviously a dealer commenting here....

D

Deleted member 4366

A dealer in what? I've dealt a few cards in my time, but I don't think I've done it for at least 15 years. If you mean drugs, that's a definite no. If you mean electric bikes, I've never sold a new electric bike, though I did sell one of my used ones last Xmas. I think you need to gather your facts before making such statements. You've just made yourself look a tw@t!

James Henderson

Just Joined
Jul 28, 2015
A dealer in what? I've dealt a few cards in my time, but I don't think I've done it for at least 15 years. If you mean drugs, that's a definite no. If you mean electric bikes, I've never sold a new electric bike, though I did sell one of my used ones last Xmas. I think you need to gather your facts before making such statements. You've just made yourself look a tw@t!
Judging by some of the posts here I'm in good company then.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Obviously you need to read some forum past posts to see he's not a dealer.
The dealing he does is with other people's ebike problems and occasionally offers to repair or fix a bike or sundrie item gratis.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Just joined James Henderson is obviously a TROLL.
Please DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.

Last edited:
Reactions: D C

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Mr Henderson....I think your comment about Electric Dave D8veh,was unfortunate....Dave has been one of the most helpful contributors to this forum,he has helped many people to sort out problems on their electric bikes,his knowledge of the batteries used on these bikes is considerable and so useful,he does all this without any monetary advantage to himself.
He has a friend,the original guy who started Oxygen bikes and because of that is very knowledgeable about that particular brand,but he is impartial about all brands....his comments are his views and tells it as he feels,you may not always agree but you have to accept that they are honest comments.
There are dealer plants on this forum,they are usually easy to spot because they swing every thread around to the brand they support,but be assured D8veh is not one of them.
KudosDave

Reactions: ajb9 and VictoryV

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Anyway Dubster how are things going with the Oxygen ?
I was wondering the same,Mr Henderson aside,you have a stonkingly good bike IMHO,a noisy disk brake simply means you have to align the caliper,a two minute job, my oxygen (same kit as on your bike) is very very robust