Product review.....Waterproof socks

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi all,
Just though i'd add a product review for ebike commuters.
Sealskinz Waterproof socks.

After 10 weeks of wet socks on my commute I bought some waterproof socks.
Got them from Go Outdoors at a good price.

Sealskinz Ultra Light Waterproof Socks - £18.00 - from GO Outdoors.co.uk

I've been using them for the last 3 weeks now and they are great.
On looks and to the touch they seem quite plasticy and not so soft, but when wearing them they are very soft and quite warm.

Let me tell you they are very waterproof in heavy rain, though the water will still leak down around the ankle if you only have shorts on, so waterproof leggings must be worn with these.
For light to medium rain though they are fine if wearing shorts.
Ive took off my shoes soaking wet, but my feet are always dry.
You may think that the £18 i payed for them is a bit steep, but my toes are always warm and dry when I get to work, which is a blessing to me.

Hope this could be useful to others.

Has anyone else got a pair of these?

Regards Bob.

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I was just wondering what size shoe the XL ones could be stretched over, to wear them on the outside...

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
:D Ive a couple of pairs of these, they are very good indeed. Ive stopped using them now as I couldnt get the right shoes !!! The only shoes I really like are velcro fastening ones (for a quick change) with the splash guard cover, and these only come (cheaply) with an ankle cut, so I've opted for these Endura Overshoes made from neoprene (wet suit materal). These are brill. Under your waterproof trousers, your feet will never get wet or cold.

At first I continued to wear the Sealskinz, but they made my feet sweat a bit too much in winter, (so they then quickly froze), now I take these overshoes with me on every commute.

John

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I'd been wondering about those Alturas, John, as my DHBs are not waterproof, though I'm unsure where the water is actually getting in.

From the ones you have, do you think the XL Altura would go over a size 10/11 trainer?

Thanks.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I'd been wondering about those Alturas, John, as my DHBs are not waterproof, though I'm unsure where the water is actually getting in.

From the ones you have, do you think the XL Altura would go over a size 10/11 trainer?

Thanks.
Funnily enough I had some DHB's first too, I didnt really like them as I thought it made my feet look like I had put socks over my shoes :p . I am size 45 = 10/10.5, and I have the XL ones, they are really good. It can be a tight fit if your trainers are bulky, but anything slimline like road shoes or tennis shoes would be fine.

John

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Thanks John, I may well give them a go. Or I might just try sticking a pedal-bin liner over my feet before putting on the DHBs!