Proposed changes to highway code

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't see it as more onus on the cyclist to move over or get out of the way.
The new consultation on rules brings in the hierarchy rules where by the vulnerable road users should be given more consideration by the larger vehicles that can do harm, however until everyone who drives learns/changes their mindset to slow down, give way and generally be more alert of their surroundings nothing is going to really change.
The first Dutch style roundabout in the UK is meant to reflect this type of priority with Pedestrians and cyclists having the right of way but drivers just drive to fast and cause the problems.
Where I live and I expect also where most live you see the poor driving on show time after time, approaching roundabouts or junctions drivers just don't slow down enough and judgement is poor, braking is left to the last minute when they realise other traffic is coming. The speed at which some traverse roundabouts and pull out and in to junctions are way to fast and only allows for last minute harsh braking, until the mindset is changed not a lot else I believe will change on the road. What is needed is more law/enforcement on the road with a lot of red tape removed from the police to do their job and allow them to issue far more penalties to drivers transgressing.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
drivers just drive to fast and cause the problems.
Nearby, there is a roundabout. About 250 metres before it, the speed limit drops from NSL to 30, it also separates out into what is technically a dual carriageway, with two lanes - one for turning right, the other for straight ahead.

Time after time, as I approach, I drop my speed so that I roll past the 30 sign at, or very close to 30. Time after time, the car that had been following me, overtakes (or undertakes - depending which lane I am using). They often even positively speed up as they go past me - not just happen to catch me up. They do this even if my lane is clear to the roundabout but theirs has quite a lot of queuing traffic.

Each time this happens, I scratch my head. Why waste petrol in order to temporarily get a few metres ahead?

Adding link to streetview image: https://goo.gl/maps/aCWEwXh3UwAstjBD6

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Nearby, there is a roundabout. About 250 metres before it, the speed limit drops from NSL to 30, it also separates out into what is technically a dual carriageway, with two lanes - one for turning right, the other for straight ahead.

Time after time, as I approach, I drop my speed so that I roll past the 30 sign at, or very close to 30. Time after time, the car that had been following me, overtakes (or undertakes - depending which lane I am using). They often even positively speed up as they go past me - not just happen to catch me up. They do this even if my lane is clear to the roundabout but theirs has quite a lot of queuing traffic.

Each time this happens, I scratch my head. Why waste petrol in order to temporarily get a few metres ahead?

Adding link to streetview image: https://goo.gl/maps/aCWEwXh3UwAstjBD6

I see this sort of thing all the time.

Also, why does it have to feel like some kind of revolutionary act to drive at 30 mph in a 40 mph zone...looking in the mirror with anxiety, waiting for the flashing lights, tailgating and horn blowing just because you can't see the point of doing 40 for a few hundred metres between 30 mph zones.

Then on my bike in the morning, I'll have loads of people forcing their way past when there isn't enough space to overtake safely, and for what? You catch them up at the lights a little way up the road and you are in front of them again. In morning rush hour the trip takes 20 mins by bike. By car it can take up to an hour. What's the rush?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
What is needed is more law/enforcement on the road with a lot of red tape removed from the police to do their job and allow them to issue far more penalties to drivers transgressing
This is unlikely to happen in my lunchtime but when it does they will also need to come down hard on the increasing numbers of illegal, un registered electric mopeds out there ;)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see this sort of thing all the time.

Also, why does it have to feel like some kind of revolutionary act to drive at 30 mph in a 40 mph zone...looking in the mirror with anxiety, waiting for the flashing lights, tailgating and horn blowing just because you can't see the point of doing 40 for a few hundred metres between 30 mph zones.

Then on my bike in the morning, I'll have loads of people forcing their way past when there isn't enough space to overtake safely, and for what? You catch them up at the lights a little way up the road and you are in front of them again. In morning rush hour the trip takes 20 mins by bike. By car it can take up to an hour. What's the rush?
Very similar in many places. In this linked picture, just leaving a 30 mph zone, with a 40 mph actually visible (though difficult to make out here), I usually accelerate to about 40 or so. But I get overtaken by angry drivers all the time - usually while still in the 30 zone.

https://goo.gl/maps/r4gw2Gq4pbWvjdHaA

Yet, so very often, I find others driving way below speed limit. Even some who overtook me a little way down the road. I just leave a good gap and follow.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Unusual; there appears to be an almost usable bike path.
It is very usable. It forms part of Sustrans 4. Just before the 40 limit, you take a right to continue on it to London. The other way goes all the way to Fishguard/Abergwaun, if you wish.

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/51.79761,-5.01315,15

And to add to my earlier comments as a driver... I have adaptive cruise control and find that it positively reinforces sensible speed. When approaching, say, a 30 from NSL, I drop it to 30 some way before the sign with the intention that it will go through at 30. Drivers behind, especially those on my bumper, seem to consider that unacceptable. They want to drive up to the sign at 60 and all too often only slow down after they have reached it.

The other car I regularly drive is a hybrid and the same sort of gently slowing down clearly enables regeneration to work with relatively little energy being dispersed by the brakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
When approaching, say, a 30 from NSL, I drop it to 30 some way before the sign with the intention that it will go through at 30. Drivers behind, especially those on my bumper, seem to consider that unacceptable. They want to drive up to the sign at 60 and all too often only slow down after they have reached it.
A lot of drivers seem to think 'Limit' actually means 'Target'. Asshats basically!

Edited to add: I also see a lot of drivers do the same in reverse, in that as soon as a sign appears ahead for a higher speed limit, they accelerate straight away. Same with approaching an entry sliproad to motorway...70 in a 30! Grrr.

Last edited:

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Very similar in many places. In this linked picture, just leaving a 30 mph zone, with a 40 mph actually visible (though difficult to make out here), I usually accelerate to about 40 or so. But I get overtaken by angry drivers all the time - usually while still in the 30 zone.

https://goo.gl/maps/r4gw2Gq4pbWvjdHaA

Yet, so very often, I find others driving way below speed limit. Even some who overtook me a little way down the road. I just leave a good gap and follow.
there are so many angry drivers on the road it’s unbelievable.
I think it’s peoples mindset of starting off late on their journey to then have to force the issue when driving. Why not start a lot earlier and get to work in a good frame of mind.
Our culture of being British I suppose.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
there are so many angry drivers on the road it’s unbelievable.
I think it’s peoples mindset of starting off late on their journey to then have to force the issue when driving. Why not start a lot earlier and get to work in a good frame of mind.
Our culture of being British I suppose.
I think it has got worse though in the last 5 to 10 years. Don't know if that's due to social media, cyclists being singled out for vilification by the general media or for other reasons. It never used to be this bad.

• Agree
Reactions: Swizz and oyster

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think the proportion of really bad/angry/... drivers is pretty small, just that their effect is very disproportionately high.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think the proportion of really bad/angry/... drivers is pretty small, just that their effect is very disproportionately high.
Location makes a huge difference. There are such people everywhere, but they seem to be a lower proportion here than where I used to be. Maybe it is widely understood that overtaking is often difficult to impossible? - So just hang back and let it be.

If there were one relatively simple electronic device I'd like to see in cars, it would be a tailgating alert. That is, if you get too close to the vehicle in front, it flashes and makes noises. (Obviously, much of the underlying technology is already present in cars with pre-crash protection and adaptive cruise control.)

(The more aggressive version, which flashes warnings from your car to the person tailgating, might precipitate too many angry incidents.)

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Edited to add: I also see a lot of drivers do the same in reverse, in that as soon as a sign appears ahead for a higher speed limit, they accelerate straight away
To quote the lecturer on my speed awareness course :rolleyes: (many years ago)
some drivers are “slow to slow and to quick go”