Public charging points for electric bikes?

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
With work progressing on a standard for electric car charging standards:

Cenelec - Charging of electric vehicles Mandate officially handed over to the European Standards Organizations

it occurs to me whether electric bike manufacturers will start to produce bikes that could be plugged into these?

The ability to do this could transform electric bike use by reducing range anxiety and make them more practical for longer journeys. That is, of course, once there are sufficient charging points available; see:Bristol leader launches first electric car charge points | Bristol24-7

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Perhaps someone will come up with an adaptor which can convert the output for different bikes... could be a new market there for someone.

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Perhaps someone will come up with an adaptor which can convert the output for different bikes... could be a new market there for someone.
That's a good idea. Problem with bikes like mine (Kalkhoff Pro Connect) is that you have to take the battery off to charge it. :(

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
A relatively simple solution - add another circuit to the feed and lockers to store the chargers and batteries under charge (as people will have to bring along their own charger). there would need to be some seperate space for each bike to prevent risk from trailing leads, maybe security against vandalism/abuse/sabotage.

Perhaps put the 230V supply on BS546 sockets, with 6A RCD protected breaker? should be enough for any legal UK e-bike I would have thought/

As these are still in use in the Commonwealth it should be easy to supply leads with 5A plug one end and IEC the other...

Although Swindon's bike park wasn't 100% perfect security wise, maybe something expanded along these lines. I think this could be deployed even where e-car charging points aren't practical as it needs a fraction of the leccy for one thing...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Since countries like Holland which have gone mad on e-bikes don't have charging points for e-bikes, I rather doubt we'll see them here. At least with an e-bike the battery can be charged in one's workplace and many have a second charger for that purpose.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Since countries like Holland which have gone mad on e-bikes don't have charging points for e-bikes, I rather doubt we'll see them here. .
They do, but not as many in towns (where people would charge their bikes at workplaces and/or remain within the single range of the bike) - they appear to be more commontly found on leisure routes/places outside the main range of an ebike and/or in cafés etc (which makes perfect sense to attract customers on such machines)

Oplaadpunten in Nederland

http://www.oplaadpuntennederland.nl/

Last edited:

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Since countries like Holland which have gone mad on e-bikes don't have charging points for e-bikes, I rather doubt we'll see them here. At least with an e-bike the battery can be charged in one's workplace and many have a second charger for that purpose.
I can see that there may not be much of a market for charging points to serve only e-bikes. Charging points for electric cars are going to become more commonplace using a standard connector which I think has yet to be agreed on in Europe, see: European 'standard' e-car power connector details emerge • reghardware.

Once a standard is available then it seems to me that it should be available for all types of electric vehicles, including e-bikes. The proposed connectors look like they are not really designed with bikes in mind but e-bike manufacturers could presumably develop something that could enable bikes to accept it.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Charging

We have many customers who charge there battery at work I understand there are government grants for installing them it is also part off company's carbon foot print

we will being supplying 2nd chargers Free as we found that travailing on the bike every day shook the charger to bits

and its not fair to say its your fault

You MUST always ask your employer if you can charge your battery or it is THEFT off electricity Instant Dismissal

I hope that as E bikes become more common and people start asking can I charge my battery then pubs restraints shops like Morison provide locking

storage for prams

they need to fit mains sockets in them

all part off there carbon footprint

Frank

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
It's a shame that the charger can't be built into the battery - I suppose it could but it wouldn't look pretty...

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi the problem with fitting the charger in the battery is the environment the e bike is in it is very aggressive vibration from road surface pot holes

Hot Cold the extra Weight If the charger fails your battery is useless you wold have to carry a mains lead

Sorry to GO on to many no no

Frank

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Hi the problem with fitting the charger in the battery is the environment the e bike is in it is very aggressive vibration from road surface pot holes

Hot Cold the extra Weight If the charger fails your battery is useless you wold have to carry a mains lead

Frank
Talking about batteries I am glad to see you have moved from lead acid to lifeo4's as the extra weight and low power range is not worth the saving!:)

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I've topped my battery up in the charging network known as "Starbucks" on a few occasions :D

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset

Frank
That's what potting compound is for! Does raise the issue of heat dissipation though. The charger on the Whisper has a cooling fan, while the Cyclamatic is passive, being in a sealed enclosure.

If you are expecting the charger to fail then you could modularise the design so that it can be easily swapped out and there is no reason to not still allow external charging as well.

The weight would be negligible for switched mode. Again, the cooling requirement could be tricky. Most of the weight of the Whisper charger is the case. The Cyclamatic charger weighs next to nothing.

As for carrying a mains lead, that could be provided at a charging post. Say a kettle lead (IEC C13).

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Perhaps we should encourage cafes, restaurants and hotels to have a few more accessible 13A sockets. And petrol stations.
Sounds like a great idea... The government needs to get organised on this and launch some scheme where they subsidise the cost and make a national scheme any businesses can join..common sticker in the window type of thing.. that would be great if we started seeing outlets like that popping up everywhere and an online map.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Charging posts would be great but I shan't hold my breath waiting to see them around.

It'll be many years before we see any kind of national network for electric cars so I doubt if bikes will get a look in.

Indalo

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Charging posts would be great but I shan't hold my breath waiting to see them around.

It'll be many years before we see any kind of national network for electric cars so I doubt if bikes will get a look in.

Indalo
Perhaps we could organise one ourselves? ;-)

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
it would be great to see in city centers enclosed secure bike parks for manual and electric bikes

with secure bays or lockers for indivual bikes with standard plug points.

An an entrepreneurial opportunity for someone

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
it would be great to see in city centers enclosed secure bike parks for manual and electric bikes

with secure bays or lockers for indivual bikes with standard plug points.

An an entrepreneurial opportunity for someone
Yep I totally agree. If the industry continues to grow there's going to be tremendous opportunities for new and existing businesses in many areas to service the special needs of ebike users. The ideal situation as you suggest would be secure storage and charging combined.. and also convenient charge points all over the UK... and dare I say it, some battery exchange scheme subsidised by the gov.

Last edited: