puddles and potholes

Do you consider that puddles and potholes are no go areas and other vehicles should a

• YES

Votes: 29 96.7%
  • NO

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I do Paul and other road users ought to understand that cyclists have to weave round these hazards so should be giving cyclists a very wide clearance margin. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that in practice and until laws are changed conferring absolute priority to cyclists over all other vehicles, cycling will continue to be a very risky occupation on many road in this country.

Since government allowed every man and his dog to plough up our roads to lay cables, usually exactly where I'd like my wheels to roll, the one metre or more strip nearest the kerb, already home to some badly fitting drain covers, has become a real obstacle course and dangerous hazard for cyclists.

Increasingly, I have found it necessary to adopt a more assertive road position in order to protect my bike (and me) from the risks within that 1 to 1.5 mtr strip nearest the kerb. Motorists don't like that! Sometimes they can be delayed for oh......seconds before they can get back to breaking the speed limit.

Easy answer to the poll question for me!

Indalo

TobyAnscombe

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Epping Forest, Essex
Got the same problem with some of the roads in Epping Forest - the roads have cracked so there are 2-4" holes running 90degrees to the curb which forces you at least into the middle of the road...

Most of the time the other drivers are ok but there have been one or two who scare the bejesus out of me...

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
Whilst I agree in principle in practice it rather depends on the size of the other vehicle. In my part of the world most roads are single track with passing places for 2 vehicles but bikes are fair game.

Growbag

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
Torbay, Devon
I absolutely agree, but if this rule is not promoted or policed riders will still be forced out of the way.
What annoys me is billions is spent creating new roads, when they cannot even maintain the present road system. A bit like adding an extension to your house when the rest of the house is practically falling down.
As a motorcyclist as well as a cyclist I also see manhole covers as a danger, and feel some sort of campaign should be up and running to have these covered with a non slip coating.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
The few times I have had it mentioned too me by anyone in a car I just ask them to drive straight over the next pothole they get and take out a suspension spring and they usually calm down. Potholes are awful for anyone on london roads.

Puddles, I have decent mudguards and don't depend on rim brakes. Bike needs a clean anyway.

I tend to avoid plenty of arguements tho by often giving way, yes many of the times the highway code gives me the right of way but I would rather be alive than have a bit of paper to say I should be alive.

Advertisers