Puncture on rear wheel on electric bikes!

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
It was bound to happen sooner or later...and today, in the middle of nowhere...it did.
Back tyre flat.
Never repaired a puncture on an Ebike before and due to the gadgets and sticky out bits on my handlebars, I couldn't tip the bike upside down.
So I;m left with a 27Kg bike and no main stand!!!
Did all the usual bits:
Selected the smallest cog in the cassette undid the quick release but because it's a Kalkhoff the nut wouldn't clear the derailleur so I had to unscrew the centre axle completely all the way out.
Now the tricky bit......

Lean the bike over so that it pivots on the side stand and the back wheel clears the ground. Then with one hand balancing the bike in this position, the other hand wiggles the rear wheel clear of the derailleur. Not simple!
Then with the wheel extracted ...you have to lean the bike against something solid to prevent it from resting on the deraileur!

I have these kevlar tyres too which pump up to 85psi. This means the tyre wall is almost like steel and the tyre levers were very difficult to use release the wall from the rim.
Eventually got the tube out and replaced it with a spare, only to find the pathetic mickey mouse hand pump provided with the bike couldn't blow a hole in a paperbag never mind near 80psi!

Believe it or not, the new inner tube I carry with me as a spare....ouldn't inflate (I found out later)???

So I had to put the old tube back into the wheel, rewfit the tyre wall - nightmare because of the reinforced rim and walk the bike to the nearest main road where my other half came to collect me.

In the comfort of my garage, I managed to use another inner tube and put it all back together using my car electric pump to get anywhere near 85psi. Job done.

Lessons learned:
Always carry a pump that is fit for purpose.
Carry rubber disposable gloves.
Carry 3 x tyre levers.
Make sure the spare inner tube you should always carry - actually inflates in the first instance before stowing it onboard!
Always carry a phone!

Anyone - any otyher observations changing a tube on a very heavy ebike?

Z

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It was bound to happen sooner or later...and today, in the middle of nowhere...it did.
Back tyre flat.
Never repaired a puncture on an Ebike before and due to the gadgets and sticky out bits on my handlebars, I couldn't tip the bike upside down.
So I;m left with a 27Kg bike and no main stand!!!
Did all the usual bits:
Selected the smallest cog in the cassette undid the quick release but because it's a Kalkhoff the nut wouldn't clear the derailleur so I had to unscrew the centre axle completely all the way out.
Now the tricky bit......

Lean the bike over so that it pivots on the side stand and the back wheel clears the ground. Then with one hand balancing the bike in this position, the other hand wiggles the rear wheel clear of the derailleur. Not simple!
Then with the wheel extracted ...you have to lean the bike against something solid to prevent it from resting on the deraileur!

I have these kevlar tyres too which pump up to 85psi. This means the tyre wall is almost like steel and the tyre levers were very difficult to use release the wall from the rim.
Eventually got the tube out and replaced it with a spare, only to find the pathetic mickey mouse hand pump provided with the bike couldn't blow a hole in a paperbag never mind near 80psi!

Believe it or not, the new inner tube I carry with me as a spare....ouldn't inflate (I found out later)???

So I had to put the old tube back into the wheel, rewfit the tyre wall - nightmare because of the reinforced rim and walk the bike to the nearest main road where my other half came to collect me.

In the comfort of my garage, I managed to use another inner tube and put it all back together using my car electric pump to get anywhere near 85psi. Job done.

Lessons learned:
Always carry a pump that is fit for purpose.
Carry rubber disposable gloves.
Carry 3 x tyre levers.
Make sure the spare inner tube you should always carry - actually inflates in the first instance before stowing it onboard!
Always carry a phone!

Anyone - any otyher observations changing a tube on a very heavy ebike?

Z
Unhappy experience, but avoidable:

1) Don't remove the rear wheel, just unlatch the brake cable at the noodle.

2) Take the tube out on the non chain side and put a little air into it.

3) Locate the puncure and repair the tube, it's easy to ease it around between the wheel and frame tubes.

4) Replace, pump it up and relatch the brake cable.

That's how we repaired almost all bike punctures in the trade.

Also buy yourself a decent pump to carry with you. As you found, that one is useless.

I even replace tube and tyres without taking out the rear wheel, though it needs care and some skill to expand the frame and pass the tube or tyre through with the other hand:

Tube Change Foot method.jpg

Last edited:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
A set of handlebar ends will enable you to upend the bike without damage.
Dave.

Reactions: Wicky

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I’d recommend Schwalbe tyre leavers as they have a clip built in that helps hold the tyre in place while refitting :cool:
Although swapping tubes is quite infrequent for me (fingers crossed) it still only takes 3 to 4 minutes, I think having a crank drive helps :p

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
Ugh! What a nightmare.

Whoever invents a puncture-free cost-effective alternative to air-filled tyres will be a billionaire.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, Gaadi inner tubes and long reuses let zip ties to compress the tyre when refitting.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I'll second Raboa's advice, a couple of Gaadi inner tubes...problem solved.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
A set of handlebar ends will enable you to upend the bike without damage.
Dave.
Or maybe carry some small allen keys so you can loosen & rotate the gubbins on the handlebars. Or sit it gently on grass/jumper, since most of the weight is at the back.
Also consider the gubbins - do they all need to be up top? For example, my bell is now underneath, but still reachable.

Once you have the bike upsidown and supporting itself, things usually get a bit easier.

Before you remove the wheel, it's worth pumping up & listening - you may be able to roughly pinpoint where the puncture is, and (as flecc says) just get part of the tube out on the 'clean side' to fix it.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I always turn the bike upsode down. Just find a bit of grass. Nothing will get broken or dirty as long as you're careful.

Like Flecc says, don't take the tyre off. I've always managed to fix punctures by pulling the tube out one side and patch g them.

Finally, getting the tyre over the rim is a matter of technique. It's nearly always easy if you do it right. You have to apply a little pressure on the tyre lever with one hand, while you work the rest of the tyre into the centre of the rim, where it's deepest. As you go round, you'll feel the tyre getting easier and easier to lever over until it virtually falls over. Reverse the te unique to put the tyre back over the rim. With many tyres, you don't even need levers if you do it right.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I've generally found it to be a good idea to use 2 or even 3 tyre levers on tight fits. Put two in close together, lock one onto a spoke (with the hook on the back end of the lever) so it won't move, then slide the other one along until the tyre pops off.

But with decent tyres, you should very rarely get a puncture.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I have had this problem - I now make sure the stuff projecting above the bars is slightly loose so it can twisted round a bit - and - as said above - just turn it over on some grass.
I also put a jacket or something under the bars for extra protection

ALso make sure that you know how to take the wheel off if you have hub drive. I used to have an ebike that did not have a connector so the wire just went direct from the battery to the motor - no connector. Therefore it was impossible to remove the rear wheel without a loads of tools. SO to repair a puncture I had to learn how to do it with the wheel still on

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
Unhappy experience, but avoidable:

1) Don't remove the rear wheel, just unlatch the brake cable at the noodle.

2) Take the tube out on the non chain side and put a little air into it.

3) Locate the puncure and repair the tube, it's easy to ease it around between the wheel and frame tubes.

4) Replace, pump it up and relatch the brake cable.

That's how we repaired almost all bike punctures in the trade.

Also buy yourself a decent pump to carry with you. As you found, that one is useless.

I even replace tube and tyres without taking out the rear wheel, though it needs care and some skill to expand the frame and pass the tube or tyre through with the other hand:

View attachment 36729
That's a good idea, will try this next time.

As a matter of interest, has anyone any experience with that green slime stuff?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

not had a flat tyre in 5 years now :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never had any success with it and hate the sticky mess it makes when it doesn't work, making patching impossible on the road. Many in here find the same, but many others find it always works.

So it seems to be case of try it out to find which you are.

I ended up several years ago with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and have only had one very slow puncture since, my fault for riding over cut blackthorn.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
That's a good idea, will try this next time.

WHen I got my current ebike I got three punctures in the first 3 months - in spite of 'puncture resistant' tyres (not Schwalbe) - I put some stuff like slime in and have had no problems since. I did get a slow puncture at one point but I stopped and left it for a few minutes (I was due some chocolate anyway!!) and pumped the tyre back up and it was fine

My old ebike (which I had for about 11 years) had Schwalbe marathons and slime - probably a bit over the top but never had a puncture on them so I will do that when these tyres wear out

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
If your tyres are tyricky to get back on, try one of these:
BBB easy tyre tool. Works brilliantly, with no risk of nipping tube as you can do with tyre levers. Very light, so easy to carry as part of your standard toolkit (similar length to a small pump)

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
OK cheers guys. I've read similar reports of hit and miss with the slime, but may give it a try myself.