Puncture repair kits

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
What's a puncture?
Since fitting Tannus Armour inserts around 6 months ago and riding around 150km a week, I haven't had a puncture, whereas previously I was getting at least one a week.
OK, I haven't had to contend with the debris from cutting hawthorn hedges during this period, but am optimistic that the inserts will cope next autumn.
Well I only have had one single puncture in a tube on bike , and this was many yrs ago
and that's been many years now riding on it ..Was older bike I tended to get more of them
but again this was many moons ago and so no problems > Was on an air bed I got more of them
and how I fixed this with aid of Gorilla glue .

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Many of tubes them days tend to last without any punctures as tires have strong treads

and are anti puncture they seem or so they say ? Puncture resistant ..

WavyDavy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2019
I have had the dried up glue tube scenario. Since then I always carry a spare tube and a puncture repair kit with an brand new tube of glue for back up. First puncture gets a replacement tube, any after that have to be repaired. So far the spare tube is enough. It is quicker just to change the tube rather than faff about trying to mend it. Especially if it is wet and muddy. Although you do have to take the wheel out. Not a problem with QR wheels. Tube gets mended when I get home.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 6" x 4" cut to size patch I mentioned in #9 comes with a large tube of adhesive, for £1.69 it is a steal for the price.

Reactions: xena

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
Have tried glueless/ready glued patches, including park tools super patches, and they were rubbish both times. Now I always carry a spare tube and repair punctures with proper glue when back at home.

mountaindweller

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2019
What's a puncture?
Since fitting Tannus Armour inserts around 6 months ago and riding around 150km a week, I haven't had a puncture, whereas previously I was getting at least one a week.
OK, I haven't had to contend with the debris from cutting hawthorn hedges during this period, but am optimistic that the inserts will cope next autumn.
I will second that , have them fitted on my R&M supercharger , running Schwalbe super moto x with green guards which have doubled the protection, had a bit of a struggle getting them in .
Schwalbe Super Moto-X GreenGuard

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
What's a puncture?
I'm a big fan of Schwalbe Marathon tyres, great puncture resistance, but even with those I get punctures at hawthorn hedge cutting time if the weather is dry. No other time though.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I carry glueless skab type patches, OK while inflated and the tube rubber is expanded but don’t do so well left on a deflated tube, as the tube shrinks back to its original size the patch outer is rigid and doesn’t shrink, it just creases instead.
I’ve never had a problem with scabs while in use and at least one of my bikes has them in at the moment.
All that said, I prefer glued patches if I’m doing the job at home :cool:
Ive changed my opinion about scab patches. Since posting those views I’ve had two suspected punctures, both turned out to be failed scab patches.
Admittedly they had been in place and working fine since last year. but that’s much of a conciliation.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Ive changed my opinion about scab patches. Since posting those views I’ve had two suspected punctures, both turned out to be failed scab patches.
I've also had a scab patch fail about a week after sticking it on which gave me the opinion they are temporary and need replacing for glued patched when I get home and can do a good clean job.

• Agree
Reactions: D C