Punctured, by Gad Sir.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The long dreaded ominous tapping from the front wheel began, as I stopped I prayed that it was just something caught in the spokes.
No such luck.
There it was, Satan's dart, plumb on the centre line of the tyre.
Not just a common or garden thorn, but a roofing felt clout.
Looking just like an overgrown drawing pin, this evil, threequarters of an inch long barb of malevolence, with a large round, flat head, glared back at me.
Just the thing for puncturing a tyre.
Of course, the Schwalbe kevlar 'puncture resistant' band did not stand a chance.
Gently picking at the head, which is all that I could see, and hoping against hope that it had not gone right through, I was rewarded with a fierce hiss, the envy of any cobra.
I pushed it back and it seemed to be satisfied and stopped hissing. Two and a half miles to home. Could I make it or would the fates be against me? I had the equipment and spare tube with me, but it is so much easier to repair it in my garage.
Luck was with me, I pedalled my best, engine on full throttle, wishing that I had bought that bottle of slime. I made it.
Strangely, the tyre did not seem to be leaking even though the nail had gone right through. When I pulled the nail out, the tyre rapidly deflated.
Such are the joys of cycling.

miker71

Finding my (electric) wheels
Had a similar experience myself, though a smaller thorn and a slow (overnight) puncture so I didn't realise straight away.

This is a view from inside the kevlar tyre, the brown thorn almost centre of frame-

So, yes, I slimed it and all is well once more.

Last edited:

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Glad you made it home, those devilish blighters are a scourge!