Punture

philwinfieldATgmail.com

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2020
On my Haibike 1.5 Sduro Hard 7 (yes what a daft name) I got a dreaded puncture yesterday. What is the best option to help prevent this again please as it was a fast one and I had to stop every mile or so to pump up?

On my old, non eBike, I had some sort of puncture resistant thing fitted and had quite a few years without or with virtually no punctures. This was not slime but a plastic thing in-between the tube and tyre.

Also, I have a really hard ride compared to my old bike, is this just an eBike thing or can a tyre change influence this please?

Thanks!

philwinfieldATgmail.com

Oct 17, 2020
I've looked them up and they're a bit road tyre like. Is there a MTB one or at least one that is more of a hybrid please? I also need mudguards now the wet season is upon us so I might cheat and get a bike shop to do the new tyre(s) etc for me

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
On my Haibike 1.5 Sduro Hard 7 (yes what a daft name) I got a dreaded puncture yesterday. What is the best option to help prevent this again please as it was a fast one and I had to stop every mile or so to pump up?

On my old, non eBike, I had some sort of puncture resistant thing fitted and had quite a few years without or with virtually no punctures. This was not slime but a plastic thing in-between the tube and tyre.

Also, I have a really hard ride compared to my old bike, is this just an eBike thing or can a tyre change influence this please?

Thanks!
On my last bike, which regularly got punctures, I eventually when replacing the tyres, I simply cut just the tread off a previous tyre, and inserted it between the inner tube and the tread. No more punctures.....a 100% fix that lasted till I gave the bike away some years later....
That's the cheapest fix in my experience.
Or buy puncture proof tyres and tubes. Relatively cheap nowadays, I fixed a neighbours bike reccently and both together cost €30, a little over 25 UK Pounds.
Regards
Andy

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
I ride about 4k km/yr and have Tannus Armor linings in both tires that I run at 50psi. While it’s difficult to be certain, I reckon they’ve reduced the number of punctures from around 12 to around 6 per year. Virtually all punctures are due to hawthorns and sustained around the current time of year after hedges have been cut. Almost all the lanes I ride are narrow with hedges both sides. I have a Schwalbe Marathon Plus ready to go on when the Schwalbe Super Sam wears out. Despite what an earlier poster said, I think Super Sam’s offer minimal protection from punctures.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44 and Gringo

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I ride about 4k km/yr and have Tannus Armor linings in both tires that I run at 50psi. While it’s difficult to be certain, I reckon they’ve reduced the number of punctures from around 12 to around 6 per year. Virtually all punctures are due to hawthorns and sustained around the current time of year after hedges have been cut. Almost all the lanes I ride are narrow with hedges both sides. I have a Schwalbe Marathon Plus ready to go on when the Schwalbe Super Sam wears out. Despite what an earlier poster said, I think Super Sam’s offer minimal protection from punctures.
I agree with Jokskot regarding Smart Sam’s, I had a thorn through a Smart Sam Plus two weeks ago and it was the first time I’d been proper off road in months. Most of this year I’ve been using Big Apples mostly on the road (fitted to a different set of rims) they have also been ok on dry trails.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield

Thanks!
I’m currently on holiday in South Wales and yesterday went down a narrow lane which had just had the hedges on both sides flayed. On my return I counted 5 thorns in the front tyre and my partner had two. Both tyres are still at full pressure after another ride today and the thorns are still in. I have tubeless Maxis Minions. I will probably pull the thorns when I return home but my partner says leave well enough alone.

philwinfieldATgmail.com

Oct 17, 2020
I've not changed a tyre in years but am stuck now!
The tyre seems to be welded on - surely not tubeless as I've unscrewed the valve and there is no o seal?
Do I just have to resort to cutting it out? HELP!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Would acetone dissolve the adhesive?

philwinfieldATgmail.com

Oct 17, 2020
Would acetone dissolve the adhesive?
Maybe! I've got cancer and my hands are too sore to try and get this off so the wheel will be off to the repair man tomorrow. This has made me realise I can't work with tubeless ready rims and so will get a new super tough tyre and hopefully less chance of another flat. I'll do the front too when that goes pop the first time!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
let the tyres down and ride round on the grass should get them a bit looser