Purchasing a new Brompton but which Conversion Kit?

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
Hi all,

I used to own a Kudos K16 (lightweight electric bike) which I sold some time ago, and I am now looking to buy a Brompton using a Cycle To Work incentive.

Considering the insane price of the electric Brompton, I would like to buy a conversion Kit with a removable battery.

Since I do not own a Brompton yet, I would like to know if an S2L would be compatible with such conversion, and most importantly, which is a reliable conversion kit in the budget of £300-600?

I am interested in something really lightweight that can cover 20 miles range on a single charge.

Paradad

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2019
Hi Floorfilla, I have the same question. What I have found to date:
Nano - c. £800
Swytch - c. £600
Grin - c. £800
DIY - c. ?500

Have you found any more information stove this post? Does anyone else have information on Brompton conversions?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Q85 and sinewave controller from BMSBattery and a 36v 20 cell bottle battery from Aliexpress. You have to lace your own Sun CR18 rim because Brompton is a different size to Chinese 16". Total cost is about £400, weighs about 3kg.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The Electric Transport Shop also do a ‘
Sparticle’ conversion.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The Electric Transport Shop also do a ‘
Sparticle’ conversion.

There's no pedal sensor on it, so it's illegal. I wouldn't recommend ETS after what happened to Allen-Uk when he went there to get his bike converted. I know it was a while ago, but it's the principle of fleecing customers that I have a problem with. That doesn't normally change.

I'll remind you: £600 to fit a 75 pence pedal sensor. That was an addition after they charged him £2000 for a conversion that was unrideable. The unsuitable donor bike that they asked him to order cost another £1000, so he paid £3600 for an unrideable bike. At least they gave him most of his money back when they couldn't sort it.

If you like sad stories with happy endings, here's the thread. The bike is still in every day use, though Allen isn't in such good shape. Prayers and besh wishes to him.

Last edited:

Paradad

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2019
Thanks for your replies gents. Good information! There's a similar discussing going on with some interesting options coming out on this thread...