Pushing ebike

Lyndon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 10, 2018
hi all I’m new here and thinking of buying a voodoo zobop. My question is do all ebikes have a push function if battery goes flat or has to be pushed up tricky sections?
Regards
Lyndon

Lyndon

Dec 10, 2018
Yes, YOU!!:), sorry, some do, but most don't, but if the battery is flat, then it's not going to work.
Haha I could see that coming lol..best not get caught en lol...I was looking at if needing to push up tricky sections, are they hard to push then?

Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
.I was looking at if needing to push up tricky sections, are they hard to push then?
A number have a "walk alongside" mode operated by a thumb throttle, restricted to 4 mph by law. They're often not powerful in that mode, just helping a bit.

It still works when the battery is low, but once the low voltage cutout operates you are on your own.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
With the KT controller on my kit bike the assistance levels seem to work in walk along mode and I have used it to move the bike and a loaded trailer. It helps a lot. It will not move me if I am sitting on the bike, you get about 45-60 W at the rear wheel.

Lyndon

Dec 10, 2018
I guess if stuck could unhook chain
Thanks for reply’s guys

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Very few ebikes will give significant extra resistance from the motor if pushed; there will be a clutch somewhere in the system that disengages. Without assist the bike will be a bit heavier then a non-electric, and you may have loaded it up a bit more than you would a regular one, but otherwise it will push just like a regular bike.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Lyndon

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
At first I was irritated by the Bosch Active Line plus Walk mode as it turns the pedals too and various posts said it didn't. However I have now realised that it's a big advantage. You generally have to jump off the bike when you are in a very low gear. This means the walk assist is incredibly slow (less than 1 mph). But because the pedals are turning it's quite easy to up the gears in the normal way as you are moving forwards. You can choose the most appropriate gear for moving at anything up to 4 mph. IIRC this was not the case with the hub driven Crossfire E as the pedals didn;t turn and I think it just drove the bike at 4mph
Mike

Reactions: Lyndon

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Is the "Voodoo zobop" sold in an e-bike version?
Not a bike I know, so to check its spec for a "walk mode" I tried to find it; Halfords version is just an all suspension non electric MTB.

Lyndon

Dec 10, 2018
Not a bike I know, so to check its spec for a "walk mode" I tried to find it; Halfords version is just an all suspension non electric MTB.
yes they do a evoke version

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
IIRC this was not the case with the hub driven Crossfire E as the pedals didn;t turn and I think it just drove the bike at 4mph
Mike
Yes that's correct. The exact walk alongside speed depends on which law designed to:

EU limit is 6 kph (3.6 mph)

UK limit is 4 mph.

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
My Raleigh Motus has a WALK mode but I cannot see the point as it pushes with no resistance anyway.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I've never used the walk seriously, but might if it were loaded and I had to push up hill for some reason.

• Agree

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We don't tour much either; most likely reason for us would be shopping and the roads so gummed up with cars trying to get to the Christmas Market that we can't even ride.

• Useful

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
It's only very recently, now I get out more with the ebike, that I realise since I retired just how bad traffic is. I'm thankful I don't have to go through the daily commute any more even though it was only a 24 mile round trip on the bike. Mind you even in the early 90's it only took about five minutes longer on the bike than in the car and sometimes it was quicker! If you are still commuting then you have my sympathy.