Question about my upgraded Ezee 25Amp controller

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
Hiya all

I have an Ezee conversion kit on my bike with a 48V 10Ahr battery.
I have just upgraded the controller from the stock Ezee 20A to an Ezee 25A.

I have a power meter fitted to the bike and have recorded the following data up my steepest hill with the 20A and 25A controllers.

20Amp controller:
Draws 19.5Amps and 850Watts

25Amp controllers:
Draws 21.8Amps and 995Watts.

The difference is noticeable but I was expecting more.
Why am I not getting the full 25Amps?
Could the 5 year old battery be the issue? I don't know the specs of the cells but it does have a 30Amp fuse installed and would have thought it could kick out 25Amps briefly?

Any thoughts?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A 10Ah battery is going to struggle to give 25A., and even if it could, you're probably going to shorten its life. Do you know which cells you have in the battery?

To get a true reading of the max current, you need to slow the motor right down. I lift the wheel off the ground, spin it up with the throttle, then use the brake to slow it nearly to a stall.

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
Thanks for the reply.
My thoughts are the battery too. Part of the master plan is to upgrade it to a 48v 17Ah soon anyway.
Others have suggested the same or perhaps the motor has some windings burned out?
I have emailed Grin, who supplied the controller, to see what they think before hitting expensive "Buy" button

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
There's no way that the windings in the motor are burnt out. it doesn't work like that.
Cool :)
The battery is getting tired and only charges to 54.3v now.
I just split the cases apart to see if I can tell what cells are in there. It looks like I would have to peel all the protective tape off it to get a good look.
It would never bee the same again if it did so I just put it back together for now.
I think I will get a new battery on order this week. I have knackered my knees and am riding throttle only for the foreseeable future and need the extra juice :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You'll probably need the extra capacity anyway because your battery will run down quite fast at 25 amps.

Advertisers