Question re software update to Bosch Performance CX drive

Dave Middleton

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 7, 2017
Scotland
Hi.
I own a 2016 Scott e Aspect 910 MTB with the above drive and Intuvia interface. When software update to EMTB mode was announced in 2017, I (and the bike ) were living overseas and I decided to wait till I permanently returned this year to get the update done.
In theory it has now been updated but NO visual or functional difference.
When queried, the local dealer commented that maybe my drive was not suitable for the update.
I find that difficult to understand.
Has anyone else experienced this.? I was not aware that a 2016 drive/ interface could not accept the update.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
My 2017 Cube EXC Touring 500 was updated recently and I have seen no change in functionality.
eMTB mode is only for eMTBs.

@DaveMiddleton I think I read somewhere that some hardtail MTBs won't accept the eMTB mode.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
My 2016 Scott e-genius 910 had the update.
1/ There is no difference in the dislpay which still shows Sport when that mode is engaged and there is no visible reference to Emtb Mode on my intuvia display
2/ Mine definately works and is easy to note the difference when pedalling at a slow speed with light pedal pressure where it backs off the power, then by applying more peadal force it will surge forward, but only in Sport mode.
It is most noticeable when a sudden change in elevation forces my to work harder but if I am riding anywhere near the cut off there is no descernible difference.

Dave Middleton

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 7, 2017
Scotland
My 2016 Scott e-genius 910 had the update.
1/ There is no difference in the dislpay which still shows Sport when that mode is engaged and there is no visible reference to Emtb Mode on my intuvia display
2/ Mine definately works and is easy to note the difference when pedalling at a slow speed with light pedal pressure where it backs off the power, then by applying more peadal force it will surge forward, but only in Sport mode.
It is most noticeable when a sudden change in elevation forces my to work harder but if I am riding anywhere near the cut off there is no descernible difference.
Thanks for the response. Puts my mind at ease.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they have different settings for the motors ie cx and performance ect thats done at the factory and thats about it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
One of which is the Scott e-Aspect 910, so should work on that one at least.
Not necessarily (if what I've read is correct).

Question 1
Have I got a CX Motor?
No: eMTB mode won't work
Yes: move to question 2.

Question 2
Is it an eMTB?
No: eMTB mode won't work
Yes: move to question 3

Question 3
Is it a full sus or hard tail?
Full sus: eMTB should work
Hardtail: eMTB might not work

• :D
Reactions: Chris.L

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Not necessarily (if what I've read is correct).
Full sus: eMTB should work
Hardtail: eMTB might not work

Do you have a link to that information ?
So far, I've not seen anything mentioning that SOME cx drives can't be updated to eMTB mode.
I guess its possible, but at the moment, I'm dubious.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
In theory it has now been updated but NO visual or functional difference.
Just in case you weren't aware - there won't be any permanent difference in what is displayed on the intuvia screen. The only way you can tell is that when you change down from turbo to sport, or up from tour to sport, for a brief instant, it flashes 'e-MTB' at the bottom of the display.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just in case you weren't aware - there won't be any permanent difference in what is displayed on the intuvia screen. The only way you can tell is that when you change down from turbo to sport, or up from tour to sport, for a brief instant, it flashes 'e-MTB' at the bottom of the display.
Mine doesn't do that, but I had my bike updated with purion fitted and later refitted intuvia so the intuvia unit didn't get an update.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Mine doesn't do that, but I had my bike updated with purion fitted and later refitted intuvia so the intuvia unit didn't get an update.
I'm sure we've had this conversation before (or did I just read you mentioning it? my memory isn't that good :) )

So the software update probably has to update the display electronics, AND separately, the motor electronics - I'm assuming from what you are saying that while your non updated display doesn't flash the eMTB, the actual performance in 'sport' is still actually 'eMTB' ?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm sure we've had this conversation before (or did I just read you mentioning it? my memory isn't that good :) )

So the software update probably has to update the display electronics, AND separately, the motor electronics - I'm assuming from what you are saying that while your non updated display doesn't flash the eMTB, the actual performance in 'sport' is still actually 'eMTB' ?
yes that is correct, and if i am remempering corretly i am sure the purin actually showed emtb instead of sport, and I did ask about it not showing on Intuvia after I changed it, but, it definately works. It also works on Cobi which also doesnt show it.

Gadfly

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2018
Lincolnshire
Further to my post at #6 above, I can confirm that the emtb mode has been activated on my Cube EXC Touring hybrid. "emtb" flashes up at the bottom of my Intuvia display as described by GI Joe at #15.

So in short, the eMTB mode does apply to CX motors fitted to other than MTB's.