Quick release mod to Agattu

carigada

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2008
UK
How difficult would it be to modify the Agattu to have quick release wheels? Would it require a complete rebuild of both hubs?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not possible to have a quick release on the back with any hub gears like the Nexus 7 speed hub you have.

For the front wheel you'd need a new quick release front hub and have that built into your rim. Minimum cost with the hub and new spokes about £70 probably, though with a quality hub it could be more.

carigada

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2008
UK
Front QR would be really nice, since it would allow me to carry the bike in my car much easier. The front hub on the Agattu is a DH-3N20 Shimano hub dynamo, without a QR. I see from the Shimano website that they do some QR dynamo hubs (but not the DH-3N20). I wondered if it would be possible to swap the axles over without having to buy a new hub.

The rear hub is another matter and I'm not suprised to learn that there is no QR possible. The axle seems to be a complex shape, looking at the exploded parts diagram. Ah well, thanks for the help.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know the answer on the Hubdyno spindle, but I rather doubt a swap would be possible, judging by the exploded diagrams of both types, so it's likely there would be the expense of a QR dynohub.

At least as it stands your front wheel it fairly thief proof. One of the most common sights in my area is a bike locked to a stand but minus it's front wheel, the rogues way of getting a new tyre probably.

Advertisers