Quicker charger for Agattu?

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
The original Panasonic charger for my Agattu takes ages to charge the battery.

It's rated at 1,8 A 29.3V

The intelligence seems to be built into the battery, since there are no lamps or anything on the charger, but 5 LED's on the battery that tells you the charge state.

A portable, twice as quick, charger would make longer trips possible without waiting 5 hours for re-charging.

But will it kill the battery?

In Switzerland, if you own or rent a Flyer, you can rent a battery at the starting point of your route and swap it for a charged one at the next charging post.

I suspect they use quicker chargers than standard to be able to service more clients with less batteries required.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I rather doubt they'd use quick chargers Erik, unless they are prepared to offset shorter battery lives with some of the profits from the operation.

Panasonic's supplied chargers have never been quick, but they do have a reputation for very long battery lives. The original Lafree Twist NiMh batteries could last to 4 or 5 years and more, well beyond the lives commonly experienced on other bikes.

The current Li-ion is almost unique in having a two year warranty, most bike manufacturers giving 6 months, and I'm sure that's due to the careful monitoring during both charge and consumption.

Four hours is quite common for charging 10 Ah Li-ions on many e-bikes, so I don't think the Panasonic one is too different from that, except for the first charge maybe.

Last edited:

Advertisers