R&M 'See and Be Seen' campaign

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
because if a lorry hits one of them things it will right off the lorry lol:p

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
The opening comment holds good though. If you want to be seen wear bright colours as a start point. Doesn't matter whether you are a yob or an OAP don't cycle on the roads dressed wholly in black.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Why would a company like Riese & Mueller have a new safety "See and Be Seen" campaign featuring a yob clad all in black? :rolleyes:
Because their advertising agency screwed up?

Illegal to be dressed that way after nightfall on French roads outside the city limits. But I prefer "stupid" to "illegal" in that case.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Forgetting RM for a mo, the clothing point is a vallied one which seems to be overlooked by the safe cycling pundits.
During the last 5 weeks of my wifes illness, to be with her I had to drive in total darkness at both ends of the day witnessing many cyclists comuting with very few wearing anything visible, and of those that did a large percentage had a dark rucksack covering their back.
So why is this the case? At my last visit to a "propper" bike shop I saw racks of cycling garments but dont recall seeing anything high vis... wheras outlets like Aldi and Lidle always include them in their winter line up.
I wonder if its considered to be cheating.... If you dare not brave the trafic dressed in black you shouldnt be out there...

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I agree, many of the sports cyclists I see around here not only have dark clothing but a dark bike too. Many seem to favour team colours, perhaps teams need to change their strips to bright/hi viz colours, maybe it'll become cool to wear them then.

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I grabbed one of these when it was on sale, they don't do them any more for some reason:

veste-chaude-velo-ville-900-homme-reflective-lime-bleue.jpg

Warm (has thermal lining), waterproof, comfortable fit. I have the 900 series rain pants and water resistant yellow gloves. I am reasonably visible.

Reactions: LeighPing

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Two years ago in warm sunny weather I had to push my broken down scooter some two miles home......At the time I was wearing a yellow high-vis jacket, it was indeed a hot day and the moment I came to a a stand still my high-vis jacket’s colour changed to deep black, in fact I was being attacked by thousands of mossies which was a horrible experience, the moment I removed the jacket the mossies were gone!

Recounting my experience to a friend who worked in the construction industry he told me ‘That’s the reason industry has changed Hi-vis colour to RED / Silver which mossies dont like’..

Jim

Last edited:

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
My wife (native Brit) is always warning me that no matter if the cyclist has no tail light, head light, riding a black bike and wearing all black, if I hit them in my car I am the one going to prison. It doesn't seem right that if a person refuses to take personal responsibility for their actions, a third-party is responsible for their safety.

D

Deleted member 128

Easy -- I'm nearly 70 and anyone 50+ years younger than I am wearing a hoodie and dressed entirely in black on a bike at night is rightly characterized as a yob. :cool:
https://www.r-m.de/en-gb/
Isn't the young yobbo wearing a dark blue jacket, not dissimilar to your own, blue jeans and a blue cycling helmet? Maybe he's wearing black socks or underwear.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
https://www.r-m.de/en-gb/
Isn't the young yobbo wearing a dark blue jacket, not dissimilar to your own, blue jeans and a blue cycling helmet? Maybe he's wearing black socks or underwear.
Wearing an all black wardrobe and relying only on a headlight and taillight is not going to guarantee your survival on a dark and stormy night. To be honest, I would be deathly afraid to cycle at night under those conditions, but I'm old and don't bounce off the pavement very well any more.

D

Deleted member 128

Wearing an all black wardrobe and relying only on a headlight and taillight is not going to guarantee your survival on a dark and stormy night. To be honest, I would be deathly afraid to cycle at night under those conditions, but I'm old and don't bounce off the pavement very well any more.
Blue jacket similar to your own, blue jeans, a blue helmet and a pink bracelet. What's the young yobbo wearing that's black?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Blue jacket similar to your own, blue jeans, a blue helmet and a pink bracelet. What's the young yobbo wearing that's black?
Oh come on give him a break his eyesight isn't what it was! :p