Raleigh Centros Gt v Raleigh Motus GT

steve derby

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2018
Derby
Hi Folks
I'm somewhat puzzled by the different specs on the 2 Raleigh e bikes.
The centros GT which is now more difficult to source is claimed to reach 140 miles on a full charge from its 500 wh motor

The Motus, again with the 500 wh motor shows a lesser achievable range.
The centros has a rubber belt on the GT which I don't think the motus has.
I know claimed mileages are subjective to a no of factors but can members throw any light on the this and maybe if the motus is worth buying and what mileages are being achieved with their particular model

Many thanks

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
The mileage claimed on the ads pretty much relates to the lightest rider, riding on the flat smooth road, with no wind, in summer(ie no bulky heavy winter clothing) and no excess weight being carried and in the minimum assistance setting - eco, which is no fun and usually about the 40-50% input rating, its a plod along and unlikely unless you push it on the legs you'll get up to 15 1/2 mph most trips.

Something to ask yourself is what will be the approximate distance you intend to use it that majority of the time ? To the shops and back, a run around town, a bit of sightseeing or touring meaning you'd be putting in 50 miles plus per day.

Either way,the bigger the battery the better the distance, though for the life of me I've no idea why a 300wh bike should come in at 24 1/2kg. My full fat all mountain 160mm full susser is 23 1/2kg with a 625wh battery.

For the money on the Centos, im use you can do better spec wise, possibly a 625wh battery size.
Raleigh to my mind is trying to go on their previous history pre 1950s, but in modern times they've never been that great. Here they're just jumping on the band wagon like so many these days.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bikes don't have a500wh motor as they are 250w, it is the batteries that are 500wh capacity. Like for like if the battery and motor are the same there should be little between them.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The 140 mile claim is very unrealistic. The Bosch range assistant (https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/) is moderately reliable. I can tweak it to give 140 miles, with minimal assist, riding at 8mph, 78kg rider+bike (eg not much over 50kg rider), fast tyres and perfect conditions.

As Nealh says, there will be very little difference between the two bikes if they both have 500wh batteries, and neither will get close to 140 miles range in real life. Play with the details on the range assistant, you'll find a realistic range on either bike with tour setting is 50 miles (40 miles for winter) with 'some inclines'.

On our five year old Motus with a 400wh (when new) battery in a slightly hilly area (Winchester) we get around 30 miles.