Rattling noise in hub motor

Marc.Sw

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2018
Hello, I'm back with another problem, hehe... :p

I have a hub motor that makes this rattling or clicking noise when I power it up. Nothing seems to be wrong with it, the halls are tested and all are fine, when no power is applied, it spins completely silent, it also draws very little current when turning with no load, around 1 amp or so.

But it makes this annoying noise. The best way to describe it would be something like a ratchet wrench :confused:

I know it sounds weird but watch the video I made.

I only can think of phase configuration but I tried several and this is the best I can make it run.

I would really appreciate some help. Thanks :)

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hello, I'm back with another problem, hehe... :p

I have a hub motor that makes this rattling or clicking noise when I power it up. Nothing seems to be wrong with it, the halls are tested and all are fine, when no power is applied, it spins completely silent, it also draws very little current when turning with no load, around 1 amp or so.

But it makes this annoying noise. The best way to describe it would be something like a ratchet wrench :confused:

I know it sounds weird but watch the video I made.

I only can think of phase configuration but I tried several and this is the best I can make it run.

I would really appreciate some help. Thanks :)
I believe that it can only be a slightly loose field coil. You might even feel it if you hold the axle while running it.
There are 3 fields, how they are built by your manufacturer I coud not say.
Stick a white piece of paper on the wheel, and see if it happens at the same point in the cycle of the motor.
It sounds too loud to be a hall effect sensor moving....
But whatever it is,someone needs to open up the motor and investigate as if it ever gets completely loose (assumption on my part only!), it might jam up the rear wheel at a very inopportune and dangerous moment.
IMHO, the bike is not safe to ride.
Your choice of course....
Perhaps there is a website for owners of this motor?
I just looked at some pictures here of such motors:-
https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+an+e.bike+motor+inside?&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj4yPnxybjeAhUKUlAKHSkbBQgQsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1364&bih=666#imgrc=h5nn5Y3aUoC-JM:
Maybe the motor stator (axle) is moving slightly in the bike frame on acceleration and deceleration.The more powerful the motor, either 350 or 500 watts or more, the torque is such that this can happen. I personally have never heard of a 250 watt motor with this problem.....but if incorrectly torqued up on build or maintenance, this could happen to any....
We are only allowed 250 watts in the EU. So it is far rarer.....
See these as well:-
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=e.bike+motor+strange+noises?
regards

Andy