RE: Bosch Active-Line motors - a cautionary tale.
- They have 2 year warranty. However, there is no ‘goodwill’, one day after the warranty runs out and you’re on your own!
- My unit was 2 weeks over before I reported it to Evans (Sheffield, UK- where I bought the bike) as I felt the bearings were ‘crunchy’ (technical term).
- Evans wouldn’t touch it — no Bosch-approved tools and they couldn’t get the spare parts .
- However, they did recommend someone - and herein lies the Good Part of the story -he’s excellent and I thoroughly recommend him; Details:
(He stripped the unit down - said the bearings were fine but he re-packed it with Bosch-approved green grease.)
- He said, and I’ve read this elsewhere, that anyone with these motors should reckon on getting their bearings replaced every 2k miles (Approx.cost is £120 (Oct2021)). My bike had only done 1.1k miles. If one keeps riding with worn bearings one MAY be looking, eventually, at the cost of replacing the motor(£6-700). Now, I know he has a vested interest in all this -but if you Google these motors (servicing and repair) I’m sure you’ll find it to be largely correct.
- He has contacts ‘in the trade’ over other parts of the country and can obtain parts like new circuit boards etc that are not available to the public.