Real Life Range

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
What sort of realistic range can I expect from Something like a Trek Powerfly LT ridden hard off-road in e-MTB mode?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
No such thing!

or

Means different things to different people!

But you need an example right? I have recently been riding an un-powered trike as well as my pedelec, my legs have gotten stronger. That has resulted in 23% reduction in Wh used per km. Or 23% extra range if you wish.

See what I mean? Hard off road you can do 20 km or 40 depending on the Alps you are climbing.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
Thanks for replying, even if it didn't really answer my question.

Perhaps I asked the question in the wrong way so I'll try again.

What ranges are people seeing from their long travel ebikes and over what sort of terrain?

I'm trying to get a feel for the sort of rides that are possible to help me decide if e is the right choice for me.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I should add; I know there's no hard and fast rule, I'm just looking for people's real world experience.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0001.JPG
that was with a 400w batt

Reactions: Doomanic

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
On my extended route in next to highest setting on Haibike I get 28 miles... Its a mixed route but with plenty of hard climbs. ( upto Lockerbrook farm above Lady Bower). Mainly wide mtb paths with about 3 miles on road ( Snake pass)
I would easily beat this range on road work or easier mtb route. I can reduce range to circa 20 miles in high setting and really pushing. ( With dongle fitted I can drop that to 16 miles but do that route in 53 mins..)
You have to work really hard to flatten battery in under 25 miles..
I could get range upto 40 miles, taking things steady...
It is really difficult to give a figure, lets face it you coould stick bike in super eco, do 80% if work yourself and say you had a 80 mile range...
But , for me , in general mtb usage at steady pace ( averaging 12mph or so) I work on a range of 30 miles, no dongle, holding cadence between 70 and 80..
That's on Haibike sduro with 400 WH battery. I,m 105 kg, average fitness but do have heart probs.( Afib)
OT.. Bike priceless for getting active post Afib etc.

• Informative

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
real life riding for me on my Trek Powerfly
aged 62 me not the bike and weighing in at 16 stone
30 miles of muddy riding on the pennine bridlway very uppy downy
and 3500 feet of ascent in single figure temperature Celsius
using eco mode with a little sport depleted one 500 battery

10 miles and 6000 feet on fireroads in Italy using turbo mode depleted a whole 500 battery
same ride using eco mode used half the battery both rides at 20 degrees c

there are lots of variables in range

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0030.JPG

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Doomanic

If its any help my emtb has transformed my enjoyment of mtb. Bought mine before heart probs, have 2 none e mtb,s. Only wish is I,d bought emtb years ago.
You speak to some cyclists who say they will go electric when they have to...dont wait. Get one...You end up putting more effort in ( I did) and go out more, go higher, faster and further. Mine has been a revelation. Fantastic ..
You make the range / pace fit the ride you are doing...Takes a few rides to fathom it out but its part of fun.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Just my tuppence worth for what it's worth. I have a Cube with Bosch motor and a 500W battery.

I can easily get 30 miles with around 3000ft of climbing. If you lessen the climbing, distance increases.

I reckon I could get 70 miles on easy paths etc from what I have done this year.

I tend to shift the motor power up and down quite a lot depending on the terrain, that way I get maximum miles, but realistically in full eMTB mode hard riding, with a 500W battery.... 25 miles.... just my experience.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Age 68, weight 184lbs, Bosch CX/FS Emtb 500w Battery.
Not suiting everyone but Emtb mode for me wonderful. Riding Towpath, some road, some trail and a few big hills I get between 6 and 10 miles per segment. Ocasionally over 40 miles, never, ever less than 25, so I bank on 30.
Mine is in emtb mode all the time and I never try to ride economically to try to save the battery.
Hope this helps!

Reactions: Zlatan

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it will do it in hd just depends how you want to edit the video as might struggle to edit it in real time if going above hd.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve/

14 is free so give that a go and will do 4k but ur system might take a long time to render the vid to one file.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you have thunderbolt 3 then you can up the gfx card with one of these
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-rog-xg-station-2-external-graphics-dock-thunderbolt-3-with-600w-80-plus-gold-psu-gbe-usb-30-rog

and then shove this in it.
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-kngpn-gaming-11gb-gddr5x-vr-ready-graphics-card-3584-core-1582mhz-gpu-1695m

as you have a all in one no idea how much ram you have but more the better for 4k say 32-64gb should be ok but for data speeds you whould need a m2 slot inside for a nvme drive to go way faster than the sata bus

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Woah! Dont want to be spending all that.. although I do have a thunderbolt socket but nothing to plug into it.
Reason for the advice which was general advice from local PC shop, was that all in ones have everything packed in a small space and some dont even have fans so overheating could be an issue. Rendering videos from my cams seem to go fairly quickly but it does fire the fan up after a couple of minutes which normally doesnt run at all.
The device spec is..
i7-7700T CPU 16GB Ram 250GB SSD 1TB SATA

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah heat will be a problem if hammering it for long periods but a desk fan or air con unit will sort that but at hd the system should render it in no time.

problems only start when going up to 4k and above as the data rate is nuts and only worth upgrading if you really need it but there is no limit to what you could spend like a red 8k cam is 60k on its own.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/nav/peak/quad_xeon/customize.php
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-xeon-platinum-8176-s3647-skylake-sp-28-cores-56-threads-21ghz-28ghz-turbo-385mb-cache-165w-ret

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
50-60kmin MTB park, 60% climbing in eco about 30% in tour, rest non assist or turbo.

Climbing in eco is definitely way to increase range but boring especially on forest roads. Tour on single track is fun, while turbo is create for boring forest roads.

EMTB are great for exploring, eg climbing steep track just to see where it goes.

Reactions: Zlatan and Doomanic

Bertyboy

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
Sussex
What sort of realistic range can I expect from Something like a Trek Powerfly LT ridden hard off-road in e-MTB mode?
I get 25 miles average on an all off road ride with plenty of climbing but working through the modes and still have 25% left. But i do use a fair bit of eco for the first part of the ride, partly to get the workout. On turbo I’d estimate I’d get 15 miles out of a battery riding all off road with some steep climbs. On road 50ish in Tour but that’s just a guess as I never do just on road.
For what you specced, ie hard off road emtb my best estimate would be 20-25 miles but as others say there are a lot of variables. 500w Bosch btw

Related Articles

Advertisers