Rear Bike Rack advices

nquicker

Just Joined
Jul 19, 2020
What are people Thoughts & advices on buying Rear bike Rack

Car type : Honda civic hybrid [saloon]
I understand the towbar is one of the best option but i am due to sell my car in next 4 months , so thought its not a good idea to invest on towbar fitting with its labour
Also my ebike is around 700£. Almost these thules range with its fitting comes bikes price with its fitting.

Halfords range
Ebike Specific
Electric Bike Compatible : yes
Load Capacity : 25kg

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/halfords-1-bike-rear-mounted-bike-rack-336262.html
Saris Range :
Load Capacity : 30kg

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/saris-bones-black-2-bike-bike-rack-631477.html

saris says max 30 kgs and 15 kg each its this something not a feasible solution to carry one single bike for 20 kgs [ battery removed]

My budget on investing on this rear racks are around 100£ - 150 £ max

Bike Stats :
without battery : 20kgs
With battery : 22.5 kgs
Type : MTB 26inch frame

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I tried a strap-on. There's no way you could get two bikes on it. It was really arkward to use and it held the bike too high. On a 200 mile trip, it knocked my normal 60 mpg down to about 35 mph. For the return trip, I took the front wheel off and carried the bike inside the car and never used that rack again. Even the cheapest towball ones are a lot better.

nquicker

Just Joined
Jul 19, 2020
I tried a strap-on. There's no way you could get two bikes on it. It was really arkward to use and it held the bike too high. On a 200 mile trip, it knocked my normal 60 mpg down to about 35 mph. For the return trip, I took the front wheel off and carried the bike inside the car and never used that rack again. Even the cheapest towball ones are a lot better.

Thanks Vfr400 , I understand that my car gives 50 mpg for a 13 yr old hybrid .. i am not sure how long i will have this car ... for me as long as it runs it works then scrap them... i was thiking the bike is worth 700£ is it worth to fit a 300 £ towbar.. thats waht bit confused to do the right thing...

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If you won't be transporting the bike too often you can probably put it on the roof without any special rack. Probably a blanket under the bike and remove the pedal that will be pointing down, and of course the battery. How to tie it down will depend whether you have roof rails or not.

Not very convenient and not good for mpg, but a cheap short term solution.

Reactions: nquicker