Rear hub motor. Step through. High torque. Suggestions appreciated.

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
Can anyone suggest a suitable bikes for me to consider?

I want a utility bike that will primarily used for pulling a trailer with an up to 60kg load.

I want a high torque rear hub with cadence sensor, it must have a step through and smallish wheels, no bigger than 26", idealy smaller. I don't want a folding bike.

It will be pulling the trailer up quite a steep long hill, a little bit of throttle would be nice to help get me started.

Battery life does not have to be huge, but I'd want at least 20miles on full power.

Price wise I'd be looking at £1,000, maybe a bit more for the right bike. I'm more concerned about durability and ease of maintenance than looks or sophistication.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I would want an integrated frame battery or forward mount battery to spread the weight . I tow up to 40kg with trailer and the weight is noticeable at times with my hub bike, the battery is frame mounted in the diamond.

Reactions: Julie

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
I'm currently using my haibike Cross 7 which tows ok
. It's hard work on the steepest hills though, I'd prefer cadence sensing and Smaller wheels and lower step through. , The haibike is fine for my long distance commute but I want something cheaper, more simple and and better suited to the task, and leave the haibike for commutibg.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Julie,

The Santana3 can easily whisk an 18st rider up 10% hills without requiring much pedaling. It's perfect for the job you have in mind. You get about 50 miles with the 15AH battery, 60 miles with the 17AH battery.
All the mechanical parts are pretty much standard, widely available at any bike shop and easy to service. The Bafang SWX02 motor is very good too.

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
Do you have a link to the geometry measurements? I usually get a smaller frame bike, I'm about 5'2 and usually get a 14/16" frame, but that is mountain bike style bikes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Julie, you should be OK, Hatti@woosh is about your height and she rides it often.
I get you the measurements on Tuesday when we get back to work.

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
Hi Julie,

The Santana3 can easily whisk an 18st rider up 10% hills without requiring much pedaling. It's perfect for the job you have in mind. You get about 50 miles with the 15AH battery, 60 miles with the 17AH battery.
All the mechanical parts are pretty much standard, widely available at any bike shop and easy to service. The Bafang SWX02 motor is very good too.
Now I’ve arrived home and have researched the Santana it sounds great, can you comment on how the torque would compare to my Bosch Performance Line CX with 75nm of torque? After looking online the SWX02 seem to have lower torque, but I know basic numbers don’t tell everything.

Also, can the Santana be used throttle only to the full 15mph?, that would be great though I thought that was not allowed.

Thanks

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Can anyone suggest a suitable bikes for me to consider?

I want a utility bike that will primarily used for pulling a trailer with an up to 60kg load.
That is a lot of weight in a bike trailer, most are only rated for 40 kg tops. Don't forget decent brakes (what goes up must come down...).

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
That is a lot of weight in a bike trailer, most are only rated for 40 kg tops. Don't forget decent brakes (what goes up must come down...).
I have a carry freedom Y frame large rated for 80kg, it’s all uphill when I’m loaded and when I’m going downhill the trailer is empty, but good brakes are important, my current bike has hydraulic discs but I don’t think that’s needed, but it’s nice.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I brought back 50+ kg from the garden center in my cheap "Chinese special" and there is a 15% gradient down just in front of my apartment, I have hydraulic front rim brake and Avid Digit on the rear. The secret is to brake from the top of the hill before picking up speed so I must have topped out at 5 km/h on the way down.

Having experienced that then those ratings for 80 kg on a bicycle trailer with bicycle brakes does make one think! I don't think you would cook hydraulic disks over such a short distance but any brake fade would have me in a cold sweat... 40 kg is definitely tops for me.

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
I’m the same as you going down, I make sure I don’t pick up speed and go down slowly, the only tricky bit for me is I have to turn right about 3/4 way down the hill so I have to take my right hand of the brake to hand signal, I make sure I’m going really slow before I get to that point but I’d still rather have both hands on the brakes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Now I’ve arrived home and have researched the Santana it sounds great, can you comment on how the torque would compare to my Bosch Performance Line CX with 75nm of torque? After looking online the SWX02 seem to have lower torque, but I know basic numbers don’t tell everything.

Also, can the Santana be used throttle only to the full 15mph?, that would be great though I thought that was not allowed.

Thanks
you need to be an athlete and spin the CX cranks at over 90RPM up a steep hill to beat the Santana3.
That's due to the difference between the two systems. With the CX, the more you pedal, the more the motor gives.
The CX uses a torque sensor, you have to pedal much harder to climb a hill. With the CX, the torque you get at the wheels depends on which gear and which assist level you are in. The comparison needs to be specific to the capabilities of the rider because the motor multiplies his/her output, eg if you can climb a 10% hill without assistance, then you can climb a 20% hill with maximum assist. If you can only climb a 5% hill without assistance, then you can climb a 10% hill with assistance but not a 20% hill.

The Santana3 uses a cadence sensor, you don't need to change gear and you pedal as much as you like, even up a hill. The assistance is limited by the 36V 17A controller.

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
you need to be an athlete and spin the CX cranks at over 90RPM up a steep hill to beat the Santana3.
That's due to the difference between the two systems. With the CX, the more you pedal, the more the motor gives.
The CX uses a torque sensor, you have to pedal much harder to climb a hill. With the CX, the torque you get at the wheels depends on which gear and which assist level you are in. The comparison needs to be specific to the capabilities of the rider because the motor multiplies his/her output, eg if you can climb a 10% hill without assistance, then you can climb a 20% hill with maximum assist. If you can only climb a 5% hill without assistance, then you can climb a 10% hill with assistance but not a 20% hill.

The Santana3 uses a cadence sensor, you don't need to change gear and you pedal as much as you like, even up a hill. The assistance is limited by the 36V 17A controller.
Thanks that is the reason I want a cadence sensor, I’m finding I’m having to work quite hard with the torque sensor, my knees are not great, the torque sensor is fine for the flat and moderate hills of my commute.

My trailer hitch is connected via a quick release wheel skewer, could it easily be attached to the Santana, would I have to remove the wheel to do this?

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's a quick hitch bracket.
The bracket has a the wheel nut hole of 10mm in diameter.
The Santana3 has a rear motor, the axle is 10mm x 12mm.
You need to enlarge the hole on the bracket with a 12mm or 13mm HS drill bit before you can fit it to the Santana3.
If you want me to fit it for you, send me the trailer hitch bracket.

Last edited: