Rear rack battery holder

CyclingMarc

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 7, 2020
Hi, I'm looking to convert my Merida hybrid bike with a Tsdz2 mid motor. The bit I'm struggling on is a suitable rear rack to mount a battery on a bike which had disc brakes

Any suggestions?

I'm looking to fit a 36v 10ah item from Yose Power

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Normally you buy the rack and battery as one item. Or you buy a battery that comes with a mounting kit to fit to an existing rack.
If you already have the battery you're going to struggle.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
And finding a battery rack that also accommodates Rixen and Kaul type pannier clips takes the challenge to another level.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Many rack batteries come with the rack. These supplied racks often don't fit if you have a rear disc brake, though it depends on where the caliper is fitted. If you have any doubts about this, show photos of your bike.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show a bike pic, if at all poss fit a down tube battery.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
My bike is a 2018 Merida Crossway 15 MD

I think the rear rack setup looks more factory
That was a complete waste of time. There's no rack on the bike in that photo and it doesn't show the disc caliper.

I don't get you guys. You ask for help and give us nothing. Good luck. I hope you get sorted.

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS

CyclingMarc

Nov 7, 2020
Open to suggestions as I'm a complete noob pedelecs

I purchased a Tongsheng as I like the idea of torque sensing, my commute is 8 miles each way

CyclingMarc

Nov 7, 2020
That was a complete waste of time. There's no rack on the bike in that photo and it doesn't show the disc caliper.

I don't get you guys. You ask for help and give us nothing. Good luck. I hope you get sorted.
I will get a true picture in the morning, I currently have no rack or battery

CyclingMarc

Nov 7, 2020
Why don't you want a normal downtube battery?
IMO they look a bit "bolt on badboy" I feel the rear rack setup looks much more factory.....but each to their own

I could be tempted by a "water bottle" battery but they are still quite large in physical size

CyclingMarc

Nov 7, 2020
Why don't you want a normal downtube battery?

Have you already ordered a motor?

What's so fantastic about torque sensing?
Torque sensing still requires rider input, the cadance sensors seem to make riding less energetic from what I've read

I'm looking for assistance on hills not a moped

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Rack batteries spoil the handling of any bike. surely, the way the bike goes and feels is more important than the way it looks?

CyclingMarc

Nov 7, 2020
Rack batteries spoil the handling of any bike. surely, the way the bike goes and feels is more important than the way it looks?
Ok I'm listening, I didn't realise weight over the back wheel spoils handling. I've been riding a Honda ST1300 but my commute doesn't require a bike of that size......also I'm hoping to have a less stressful commute and some mild health benefits

I'm not against frame mounted batteries if my idea of rear batteries is bad

Reactions: Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Ok I'm listening, I didn't realise weight over the back wheel spoils handling. I've been riding a Honda ST1300 but my commute doesn't require a bike of that size......also I'm hoping to have a less stressful commute and some mild health benefits

I'm not against frame mounted batteries if my idea of rear batteries is bad
Tbh Marc, a frame mounted battery will not upset the bikes centre of gravity as much as a rack mounted one and they do look just fine. The only issue with them is mounting them firmly...your bottle mounts are likely too low. This means either:
a) mount the battery the wrong way round - naff
b) drill a lower mounting hole in the cast lower portion of the battery bracket
c) drill a hole higher up your down tube and fit a nutsert
d) b & c
e) * something else * :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Tbh Marc, a frame mounted battery will not upset the bikes centre of gravity as much as a rack mounted one and they do look just fine. The only issue with them is mounting them firmly...your bottle mounts are likely too low. This means either:
a) mount the battery the wrong way round - naff
b) drill a lower mounting hole in the cast lower portion of the battery bracket
c) drill a hole higher up your down tube and fit a nutsert
d) b & c
e) * something else * :)
The later Hailong cases have much lower fixing points, or he could fit a dolphin type or any of the latest frame mount types.

This photo shows the difference in the Hailong bases:

Reactions: Swizz

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
What's so fantastic about torque sensing?
Absolutely nothing on a TSDZ2. Out of the box it is "Pants". The factory firmware is rubbish, and needs to be changed to OSF to get anything realistic. Mine is back in its box and will go on eBay!
A good hub motor and controller is better for workout!
For a effortless ride (Fun), get a BBS02/HD

CyclingMarc

Nov 7, 2020
After some of your comments I have decided to source a bottle battery as they seem a bit more slender

I'm still hopeful the Tongsheng may give a feeling similar to the Bosch systems. I've ridden a friend's Bosch Cannondale and I like the smooth power delivery.......his was £2100 mind

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
After some of your comments I have decided to source a bottle battery as they seem a bit more slender

I'm still hopeful the Tongsheng may give a feeling similar to the Bosch systems. I've ridden a friend's Bosch Cannondale and I like the smooth power delivery.......his was £2100 mind
I've got a feeling you're going to be disappointed. I wish you luck anyway and I'll try to help if you need anything.

Whatever battery you get, choose one with branded cells and aim for at least 5 amps headroom on current supply. If you chose a 15 amp 250w TSDZ02, that would mean a battery capable of supplying 20 amps continuous.