Rear wheel puncture on cargo trike

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
Had 1st rear wheel puncture in 2000 miles on my Boxer cargo trike a couple of days ago. Fortunately it was 400 metres from home so I walk assisted it back to base.

I read on here how easy it is to deal with. Being a cack handed practical numpty ( if the grandchildren see me with a screwdriver they have to tell a responsible adult ) I called my local bike shop. They came out today and fixed it. Thanks to The Bike Centre at Romsey I'm mobile again. It was a roofing tack.

Seeing how it was done I think I could do it on the road but do I want to carry an axle stand, spanners, screwdriver & tube until the next one? No. I'll be adding the tel no. of a motor cycle recovery firm to my phone and hoping it will be another 2000 miles before I need to use it.

Looks like Boxer Cycles are/will be no more. Landline number is not on their website now and I'm told there was a full page advert in a trade mag putting the business up for sale.

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
That's a shame about Boxer, we have one of their early import trikes. As you have a cargo trike, just stick tools etc under one of the seats, though you may get away next time with just popping the tyre off the rim whilst still on the bike and putting a sticky patch on (Slime scab/wilko etc), so long as you check the cause has been removed from inside/outside the tyre it should have you sorted without the faff.

John

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
That's a shame about Boxer, we have one of their early import trikes. As you have a cargo trike, just stick tools etc under one of the seats, though you may get away next time with just popping the tyre off the rim whilst still on the bike and putting a sticky patch on (Slime scab/wilko etc), so long as you check the cause has been removed from inside/outside the tyre it should have you sorted without the faff.

John
The tyres are Marathon Plus and the tubes are 'Slimed'. Slime was everywhere. I would have ended up looking like a Martian. I have fixed punctures in the non motor wheels but struggled getting the tyre back on due to arthritis in my left hand.

Only got one seat as it's the doggy version. The battery and the electrical junction box occupy that. Cargo box is usually full of dog.

Found 2 motor cycle recovery firms and have put their numbers in my phone.

Had to go to Bournemouth today so detoured to Poole. Boxer left about 6 months ago according to neighbours. That ties in with a report I found that Jeremy has health problems having had a 'seizure' earlier this year.

Boxer's demise won't cause me any problems as I've got a good bike shop about 4 miles away. They sell & service e-bikes and will come to me if necessary.