Recomendations for folding bike (second bike)

joanna

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
I am doing a bit of travelling, staying in B and Bs but needing to get round, so I am thinking of buying a folding electric bike. However I already have a wisper electric bike, so this would be very much a second bike.

As such I dont want to spent too much, and am looking at either second hand or a budget bike (under £500)

I have seen a freego folder on flea bay, an electrobike folder or an e ranger. They dont mention battery size. All second hand, or a few budget bikes.

Any thoughts?

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
With non e-bikes we found the cycling experience of folders not to our taste, so purchased a bike carrier, to take our 700 road bikes; is that a viable alternative option using what you have?

We already had a towball making rack options attractive.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Buying a second hand ebike is always a big risk because it is difficult to establish battery condition. If they let you take it for a real ride maybe you can, but that isn't usually practicable. A lot of people proudly say thins like 'the bike has bot been used for over a year'; but if the battery has been left over that period to discharge it is likely to have become almost completely useless.

So, unless you are VERY sure, factor in the cost of a new battery (and check a suitable battery is even available).

Reactions: guerney

joanna

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
With non e-bikes we found the cycling experience of folders not to our taste, so purchased a bike carrier, to take our 700 road bikes; is that a viable alternative option using what you have?

We already had a towball making rack options attractive.
My choice was based partly on where to keep it. I didn't want to leave my main bike out on my car, or a random car park over night, and thought I could store in my room, but maybe I should check for bike parking instead.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Taking onboard your comments and sjpt's above, I would just buy a new low-cost folder as you propose. Tow bar, carrier and fitting is likely to cost at least as much, and yet your bike is always vulnerable to rain and road grit when driving and theft when unattended. Some hotels and B&B's will accomodate a bike overnight but others don't, so you limit your options.

I recently bought a folding Fiido D11 alongside my two full-sized ebikes. It folds easily into my car boot where it sometimes stays overnight. I commute on it, but sometimes drive to a seaside town, park easily for free in the outskirts, and use the bike to explore the town and coast. It's much easier and less anxious than risking leaving a full-sized ebike locked to a lamp-post while you nip into a shop or cafe/pub for lunch etc, and it can be left in the boot of your car overnight.

I'm personally impressed with Fiido. They're basic - nothing fancy - but comfortable, reliable, and well-enough built, decent sized batteries, and spares are easy to obtain. A D3 starts at£490, D2S at £530, D4S £600, D11 £800 - all folders, warranty and delivered from UK stock.

Bikercolin

Just Joined
Apr 11, 2021
Birmingham
HI
I have continued to tour on my e bike.
Pennine way and Lon Las Cymry this year.
All the B&Bs and pubs have used have indoor parking. Plus Premier inn welcome bikes in their rooms. Let then know in advance and they will give you a ground floor room.