Recommendations for someone to fit conversion kit in NE

DurhamCyclist

Just Joined
Mar 30, 2021
Hi everyone, I hope this question is allowed.

I'm looking to convert my bike (a Liv Rove) into an ebike. It's a decent bike with disc brakes so I don't see the need to buy a separate ebike. I'm moving to a much hillier area of Co. Durham and will be commuting 7 miles each way to work with my daughter in her bike seat, so a little boost would be much appreciated!

I'm not hugely handy and wouldn't be confident cycling with my daughter on something I've DIYed, so wondered if anyone has a recommendation for someone (ideally in Co. Durham, as I don't drive) who could fit a mid-drive conversion kit for me.

Any help gratefully received!

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hi, asking here for personal recommendations is sensible, sorry I can't help but please be careful if picking someone off Facebook etc who says they can do a conversion for you.
A friend of mine near Bishop Auckland found somebody local to do a conversion for her, paid good money and got an unfinished and incomplete bike back after lots of stress. If you find anyone let me know and I'll ask my friend if it's the same person so you can avoid them. You might find it difficult to get a conversion done (risk of problems, liability etc), maybe a ready-made electric bike could be a better solution for you?

Knowing the hills in your area I'd suggest you check carefully before buying to make sure you are getting something with a reasonable torque (pulling power), especially as you have a passenger.

Hope you find something to suit you, electric bikes are the future :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

I'm looking to convert my bike (a Liv Rove) into an ebike. It's a decent bike with disc brakes so I don't see the need to buy a separate ebike. I'm moving to a much hillier area of Co. Durham and will be commuting 7 miles each way to work with my daughter in her bike seat, so a little boost would be much appreciated!

I'm not hugely handy and wouldn't be confident cycling with my daughter on something I've DIYed, so wondered if anyone has a recommendation for someone (ideally in Co. Durham, as I don't drive) who could fit a mid-drive conversion kit for me.

It would probably be cheaper to buy a ready-made ebike than pay somebody to convert the one you have. It would only make sense to convert your bike if there would be something special about it that you'd need to keep or you were going to convert it yourself.

Also, that bike would need a special arrangement for the battery if you want to put a child seat on the back because the space in the frame is too small for a battery that fits to the dowtube and most of the others go behind the seat.

JayDG

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 10, 2021
nr Allenheads

Did you get this sorted? If not, I'd say don't worry about DIY. I've just fitted a Bafang BBSO1B (mid motor) and it was extremely straightforward, and difficult to see what I could have done that would have been dangerous.