Recon S2 - Joycube JCEB360-11.6 battery not charging

does10

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 23, 2021
Hello,

I got a bike from the Asian company Recon. Not to be confused with the American Recon e-bike company. I've had it a few years and my battery stopped recharging. I assume it's the charger but not sure how to tell. Honestly, I'm not super technical and am looking for some guidance on what to do. I want to ride my bike again!

I found a charger online for $150 but am not sure if that will solve the problem. I thought I'd just buy a new battery in case that way I have two batteries and a new charger. But I am at a loss of where to find a battery or if i even can. It says its a Joycube JCEB360-11.6 battery but the shape of mine looks different and can't see how it would clip into my enclosure. I'm sure I'm just missing something. I cant find the Asian company Recon online to see if they have a replacement.

What might you do in the same situation. I am at a loss and really miss riding and spent a lot on the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
The battery looks identical to the one used by the 1st/2nd gen Carrera Crossfire-e and Vulcan-e. The chargers and battery often come up on ebay.
Yosepower use to sell the batteries with the chargers but they don't list them now

Reactions: does10

does10

Jan 23, 2021
The battery looks identical to the one used by the 1st/2nd gen Carrera Crossfire-e and Vulcan-e. The chargers and battery often come up on ebay.
Yosepower use to sell the batteries with the chargers but they don't list them now
That is very helpful and a great lead. I cant thank you enough!

does10

Jan 23, 2021
I found this charger that has the sv5 pin connector. Does anyone have any feedback if this might work? My battery says 36v 42v and this charger says 42v. Thank you ahead of time!

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
It would help to know what country you're in if you're looking for helpful sources - you're talking in $, you're showing a US ebay link, and your charger seems to have a US plug on it.

It looks like a standard Phylion SF-06 cased battery: Joycube is a brand name of Phylion. The original chargers are made by Sans but also branded Joycube for Phylion. Here's the battery egroover referred to, super cheap, but it isn't in stock.
Ebike AKKU 36V 11.6Ah SAMSUNG Lithium ion Battery for Electric Bike Phylion SF 06 Joycube Replacement Down Tube Bateria 36V|Electric Bicycle Battery| - AliExpress

If you're in the UK, this company can likely check/diagnose/recell your battery and check/sell you this compatible charger if needed:
eBike Batteries Phylion Mini 5-Pin (BL23) 36v 2A Lithium-ion charger (CE & ROHS Certified) – eBike Batteries
Here's an original Phylion charger: They also sometimes sell the 11.6Ah battery, but not at the moment.
Pendleton / Carrera E-Bike Battery Charger (Pre 2019) | Halfords UK
In Europe, www.insportline.eu also sell the 11.6Ah Phylion SF-06 battery and charger.

What you do need to check is if the BMS in the battery is smart or dumb - the same battery is sold in both versions. The smart BMS usually has a small roundel sticker on the case saying it's smart and all 6 pins at the battery dock end have metal pins connected. The dumb BMS version only has the two for battery voltage. The charger plug with the 5-pins: All pins need to be connected, + & - volt, over-temp, over-charge and handshaking. The ebay link you've given suggests only two charger pins are connected.

does10

Jan 23, 2021
It would help to know what country you're in if you're looking for helpful sources - you're talking in $, you're showing a US ebay link, and your charger seems to have a US plug on it.

It looks like a standard Phylion SF-06 cased battery: Joycube is a brand name of Phylion. The original chargers are made by Sans but also branded Joycube for Phylion. Here's the battery egroover referred to, super cheap, but it isn't in stock.
Ebike AKKU 36V 11.6Ah SAMSUNG Lithium ion Battery for Electric Bike Phylion SF 06 Joycube Replacement Down Tube Bateria 36V|Electric Bicycle Battery| - AliExpress

If you're in the UK, this company can likely check/diagnose/recell your battery and check/sell you this compatible charger if needed:
eBike Batteries Phylion Mini 5-Pin (BL23) 36v 2A Lithium-ion charger (CE & ROHS Certified) – eBike Batteries
Here's an original Phylion charger: They also sometimes sell the 11.6Ah battery, but not at the moment.
Pendleton / Carrera E-Bike Battery Charger (Pre 2019) | Halfords UK
In Europe, www.insportline.eu also sell the 11.6Ah Phylion SF-06 battery and charger.

What you do need to check is if the BMS in the battery is smart or dumb - the same battery is sold in both versions. The smart BMS usually has a small roundel sticker on the case saying it's smart and all 6 pins at the battery dock end have metal pins connected. The dumb BMS version only has the two for battery voltage. The charger plug with the 5-pins: All pins need to be connected, + & - volt, over-temp, over-charge and handshaking. The ebay link you've given suggests only two charger pins are connected.
I am absolutely blown away. Thank you so much! I have been trying to figure this out for months. Thank you thank you thank you. I am in the USA. It looks like only 2 pins connect on the battery. Would that battery link you sent me work with my bike if it only connects with 2 pins? Thank you!

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I'm not super technical and am looking for some guidance on what to do...

I cant find the Asian company Recon online to see if they have a replacement...

What might you do in the same situation. I am at a loss...
1) Judging from the branding on the battery in your photos, your bike maker is here: Korean. They do list replacement batteries, but don't show the one you need. You could email/ask.

리콘바이크 공식홈페이지 (reconbike.com)

2) You could find an e-bike battery re-celler local to you to test your battery and charger (like we have ebikebatteries.co.uk here in the UK, linked above). You've had your battery "a few years", so it may be as much the battery failing as the charger. If you don't know of a battery expert, ask on a US forum like this one for suggestions. They'll know the US market far better. Someone may even know of a US Phylion reseller (although Phylion don't have an official US base - only in China, India, EU)

Endless Sphere - Index page (endless-sphere.com)

3) If more stock becomes available, the battery in the link should work (if your motor/battery is 36v). The extra pins are for comms (older UART protocol), which your bike doesn't use anyway if your current battery only has the two discharge pins connected. That also means that if your current battery is beyond salvage, you could swap it out for another brand/style - lots to choose from on ebay etc. Yose Power seem pretty respectable.

Lastly, the maker Phylion don't list the SF-06 anymore; they've stretched the case to become the SF-06S (25mm/1" longer case, uses different D-shape charger plug, newer CANbus comms), so unless you can find existing stock of the older SF-06/charger, you may need to either re-cell or swap to something more current anyway.

Good luck.

Advertisers