Recovering from injuries: How to cope with non-cycling?

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
Got a relapse from pained shoulder on account of riding again when apparently not fully recovered. I´ve ended up with minor tendinitis. Now I fear an extended pause.
And I am in serious need of consolation, advice, tips against impatience and cheerful/positive comments!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's always a silver lining Poppy, and the first one that's apparent is that the delay in getting your new bike now doesn't matter.

That will enable you to be more relaxed about it, a mood which will speed your recovery.

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
There's always a silver lining Poppy, and the first one that's apparent is that the delay in getting your new bike now doesn't matter.

That will enable you to be more relaxed about it, a mood which will speed your recovery.
Yeah yeah, but I´ve got the clone. With a bent pedal. But it still does the job. And don´t forget Murphy´s Law: Wouldn´t be surprised if the Pro C. -unexpectedly-came much sooner than my fully recovery.

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Hi poppy
Bear in mind, that
1 I am pretty feckless
2 70+ and need to do it all now
3 My dad was shot at by Spanish people

I have tendinitus a bit from trying to start the bl***y lawn mower with a pull starter (sic) it is in my elbow, and gives me gip(sic) in the morning. Doctor says take the painkillers and rest...how long...till it's better..
Have been biking since I got the Agattu, no better but not worse.
Lady Jennifer has a crumbling hip..will not improve, until the replacement...(U K waiting list) much pain but takes the ibuprofen and goes biking...recons it is worth it...
pays yer money ...takes yer choice...
Dont forget according to Genisis 70 is yer sell by date....
sorry for your pain...really liked your posts
PS have you considered going to Fuente DE in the pecos
On a Sunday you can take your bike up on the telepheric
(900 m ) and you can then cycle down nearly 32 km without pedaling. Allowing you to cycle back with battery thing to your car (at Fuente) and go home...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yeah yeah, but I´ve got the clone. With a bent pedal. But it still does the job. And don´t forget Murphy´s Law: Wouldn´t be surprised if the Pro C. -unexpectedly-came much sooner than my fully recovery.
You are obviously a "glass half empty person", where I'm a "glass half full one".

I've got a messed up knee at the moment, have been told I've high blood pressure and put on medication for that, and have now been called in for a consultation after concern over an ECG result.

I see that as good news. :)

On both sides of my family deaths are invariably from cancer, so since we only usually suffer from and peg out from one thing, I'll opt for ticker trouble over cancer any day.

So it's "Thanks Doc, oh and by the way, include me on your funeral visitors list". :D

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
how about a cold beer.... and

Got a relapse from pained shoulder on account of riding again when apparently not fully recovered. I´ve ended up with minor tendinitis. Now I fear an extended pause.
And I am in serious need of consolation, advice, tips against impatience and cheerful/positive comments!
Hi Poppy,

sorry to hear about the set-back, i had this problem with a frozen shoulder a couple of years ago, it's a bit like being in limbo.

why not get yourself a nice cold beer, or whatever else take your fancy, sit somewhere with a good view and make yourself a list,

1. make a pre-prep list of all the things you know you will need to check on the new bike, brakes, lights, saddle height, handlebar angles, tyre pressures, tighten everything up, rub down with oil of winter-green & a copy of the 'Sporting Life'....etc.

2. make another list of all the extras you know you will want to buy, new gloves, saddlery, seat cover, new key fob, bags, extra bulbs, tools etc...

3. all the nice places you will cycle out to when the bike arrives, trials & tests you will want to make, good spots to stop for lunch, mates who you know will want to see your machine, favourite view locations....

4. all the good things your new chariot will do for you, get you fit, save you money, get you out of the house & car, commune with nature, meet new people - who will want to ask you about your splendid bike, give you something new to play with....

5. pour yourself another cold beer and see what other lists you can think up so that when Bike does come.... boy are you ready for it.

in the meantime,

"Two accountancy students were walking across campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?" The second accountant replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want." The first accountant nodded approvingly, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't fit."

take care,

beeps

Last edited:

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Hi poppy
Bear in mind, that
1 I am pretty feckless
2 70+ and need to do it all now
3 My dad was shot at by Spanish people

I have tendinitus a bit from trying to start the bl***y lawn mower with a pull starter (sic) it is in my elbow, and gives me gip(sic) in the morning. Doctor says take the painkillers and rest...how long...till it's better..
Have been biking since I got the Agattu, no better but not worse.
Lady Jennifer has a crumbling hip..will not improve, until the replacement...(U K waiting list) much pain but takes the ibuprofen and goes biking...recons it is worth it...
pays yer money ...takes yer choice...
Dont forget according to Genisis 70 is yer sell by date....
sorry for your pain...really liked your posts
PS have you considered going to Fuente DE in the pecos
On a Sunday you can take your bike up on the telepheric
(900 m ) and you can then cycle down nearly 32 km without pedaling. Allowing you to cycle back with battery thing to your car (at Fuente) and go home...
Was your father shot at in the Spanish Civil War? I hope it wasnñt my father. He fought in the Asturias front. Seriously wounded? Well we are now pretty civilised. We may become quite aangry if we don´t beat the Germans in today´soccer´s final...
I´m pushing 59 but unlike you, never been fit. And early retired. I discovered that biking does kill a couple hours in a very satisfactory way. And now I feel like stranded. Funny I started biking last year. Last time i did? More than 40 years ago...!
I could do all that you suggest if only i could hold the handlebars. Well, correction,. Even if I thought i was allright, my wife has the last word. And she won´t allow my riding again in a hurry.

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
love the joke
my advice forget 1,2,3,4; have another beer...lookit view
forget view , lookit beer forget view, think forget beer..I'll go for a bike ....later, the great sage EILDEROSC sayith
"all things come to those who wait, unless of corse being mortal you die first..it is thus incumbrent upon mortal man to get upon his bike and look for work (LOOK for work)
and apperciate those who do it")

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008

I see that I´ve been crowned Senior Member: To what do I owe the honour? Do I Have I to live up to somebody´s expectations? If so they are in for some disappointments!

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Hi Poppy,

sorry to hear about the set-back, i had this problem with a frozen shoulder a couple of years ago, it's a bit like being in limbo.

why not get yourself a nice cold beer, or whatever else take your fancy, sit somewhere with a good view and make yourself a list,

1. make a pre-prep list of all the things you know you will need to check on the new bike, brakes, lights, saddle height, handlebar angles, tyre pressures, tighten everything up, rub down with oil of winter-green & a copy of the 'Sporting Life'....etc.

2. make another list of all the extras you know you will want to buy, new gloves, saddlery, seat cover, new key fob, bags, extra bulbs, tools etc...

3. all the nice places you will cycle out to when the bike arrives, trials & tests you will want to make, good spots to stop for lunch, mates who you know will want to see your machine, favourite view locations....

4. all the good things your new chariot will do for you, get you fit, save you money, get you out of the house & car, commune with nature, meet new people - who will want to ask you about your splendid bike, give you something new to play with....

5. pour yourself another cold beer and see what other lists you can think up so that when Bike does come.... boy are you ready for it.

in the meantime,

"Two accountancy students were walking across campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?" The second accountant replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want." The first accountant nodded approvingly, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't fit."

take care,

beeps
1. Done most of what you advise.
2.Never touch the stuff.
3. The rest of the tips make more broody.
4. Very good joke.
5. In a better mood since we won the European soccer Championship.
How long were you stranded?

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi poppy.
Locate the tendon in question (if not found already).
Try alternating with an ice pack and then a heat pack 20 minutes each. each night before bed.
Use Ibuprofen gel and paracetamol to ease the pain.
Gentle exercise, though nothing extreme until the tendon is fully repaired.
If you rest it too much it may get flexor spasm (shrink).
If not better after 1 month then see your Doctor and get him to refer you to a physiotherapist.

Hope this helps.
Bob.

Last edited:

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
sporting tonic

I hope the footy tonight has helped ease the pain. A well deserved win. hope your feeing better soon.

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
Recovering from injuries: How to cope with non-cycling?
Of late I have walked more, have had little choice, but as I have a condition that needs to be treated, i most certianly wont be able to use any bike for at least 6 months.
I am dreading those 6 months :(
I dont like hospitals when visiting, something I will have to get used to.
I hope by now your injury is recoverd.

Yes Poppy, unfortunatly the Uk waiting list have got ridiculously worse, especially for treatment that is a must, with 2 young children I have to get well ASAP.
In the NL everyone pays £100 per month, it makes treatment very fast, it seems almost everything is covered, I wish they had such a system in this country, theres bupa, but I think you have got to join befoe you are poorly, and I think they are quite expensive, and besides, I had paid for my NI for years, so should be intilted to national health treatment, not put on a long waiting list, but will see about that <fingers cross>

Gaynor

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Of late I have walked more, have had little choice, but as I have a condition that needs to be treated, i most certianly wont be able to use any bike for at least 6 months.
I am dreading those 6 months :(
I dont like hospitals when visiting, something I will have to get used to.
I hope by now your injury is recoverd.

Yes Poppy, unfortunatly the Uk waiting list have got ridiculously worse, especially for treatment that is a must, with 2 young children I have to get well ASAP.
In the NL everyone pays £100 per month, it makes treatment very fast, it seems almost everything is covered, I wish they had such a system in this country, theres bupa, but I think you have got to join befoe you are poorly, and I think they are quite expensive, and besides, I had paid for my NI for years, so should be intilted to national health treatment, not put on a long waiting list, but will see about that <fingers cross>

Gaynor
Six months, Mamma mia!
i have no right to complain. It shows that i am wimp!!

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Good result

1. Done most of what you advise.
2.Never touch the stuff.
3. The rest of the tips make more broody.
4. Very good joke.
5. In a better mood since we won the European soccer Championship.
How long were you stranded?

Added... 'or whatever takes your fancy' as it could easily be a nice cuppa.

sorry the other tips made you 'broody', i'm assuming this meant 'moody' as opposed to a desire to get pregnant.

glad you liked the joke at least, you're not an accountant are you ?

good result on the footie, i was rooting for the right team and it's 'large orange juices all round'

my wound kept me out of the saddle for 8 months, but it did harden my resolve to get really, really fit once i was up & running again.... and that worked, so there was a silver lining for me.

i'm sure i can hear Eric Idle whistling something in the background........

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Added... 'or whatever takes your fancy' as it could easily be a nice cuppa.

sorry the other tips made you 'broody', i'm assuming this meant 'moody' as opposed to a desire to get pregnant.

glad you liked the joke at least, you're not an accountant are you ?

good result on the footie, i was rooting for the right team and it's 'large orange juices all round'

my wound kept me out of the saddle for 8 months, but it did harden my resolve to get really, really fit once i was up & running again.... and that worked, so there was a silver lining for me.

i'm sure i can hear Eric Idle whistling something in the background........
Being a full-blooded Latino, albeit past my better years, i guess you ll know which would be my choice in your joke. Being a lawyer, and temporarily maimed, would only be a slight hindrance easily ?¿ overcome.
Can´t be more explicit without risking being kicked out of this forum, never mind my promotion to Seniority.

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Sympathy for Pops

I really do sympathise - but my old drill sergeant use to say – You ‘orrible airmen, march through the pain.

It never worked – being pampered is the best remedy.

Get better soon - Regards Terry

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
I really do sympathise - but my old drill sergeant use to say – You ‘orrible airmen, march through the pain.

It never worked – being pampered is the best remedy.

Get better soon - Regards Terry
Thanks. I see you made it through fine with your sarge. I could have benefitted from some dose of him: i wouldn´t be the whiny weakling that i am!
In my case, after strong medication, the situation is what good old Lennon used to sing: It´s getting better all the time...Better better better...

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Greetings poppy,

I too sympathise, but if your "strong medication" is 'hillbilly medication' no wonder you are feeling Better better....but "Ca canny" or use in moderation, we want you whole when you are better.

When I am unable to cycle I use a mobility scooter (class 3 invalid carriage) 8mph as a substitute that can be driven with one hand. Would go 'stir crazy' otherwise but it gets one out to meet friends and indeed to make new friends.

If you could hire or borrow one it could keep you sane and out from under other folks feet.

Speedy recovery!

Dave