Redesign of Pedelecs site

RichardB

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2006
Hi all,

we will shortly begin a redesign of the site, to freshen it up with a new look as well as change and add new features.

If there is anything you would like to see added, changed or removed then please respond below and we'll do our best to include them.

We want the main site to become much more dynamic by allowing people to publish their own articles, reviews, blogs and much more.

We will be implementing new polling software which will replace the polls on the forum. We know the 'Which bike do you own' thread causes problems.

A new directory with much more detailed information on all the bikes that are available and where you can buy them with more support for the smaller retailers.

Reviews will be still be just owner based, but it will be easier and quicker to submit with faster publish times. We don't intend to review bikes ourselves as frankly we don't have the time and there are others who do a great job already i.e. A to B magazine.

The implementation will be done in two stages, firstly the main site and then secondly to incorporate the forum layout so the sites appear as one.

Lastly the forum itself. We are keen to hear views on whether to leave it as is or would members like to see the forums categorised in different ways. For example we could have a beginners forum, technical split into sections, forums by bike or manufacturer. What would you like to see ?

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
I think the forum is fine as is. I could see a beginners forum becoming a bit of a wasteland that no one barring beginners would venture into. Thereby leaving the beginners to talk amongst themselves until they wander off grumbling about not getting any help. :D

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I'd like to see the correct times & dates. They're times are always out and sometimes stuff that was posted ages ago appears with todays date.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I would like the 'go to first unread' function to work, apart from that there are probably enough forums and adding more may dilute the content too much as it's not the busiest site going.
Maybe when VB sorts out the social groups mess then that will be a valuable addition enabling fluidity in the extra forums with less overhead for admins.
RSS feeds may be useful on the front page to give people a reason to visit there, not sure where you would want to feed from though - bikeradar maybe.

Sector

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2007
Leicestershire Le8
Photo definition

Please consider raising the kb limit for photos. Sometimes it is important to show lots of detail in equipment photos, and the present limit is rather restrictive.

Diesel City Tracker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2008
Cambridgeshire PE7 1
As a newbie, I do like the layout of the site, hope you don't spoil what you already have. Would like to see a proper list of dealers, with URL adresses etc. (Only 2 in the present 'find dealer' list) I like the many different elements that the site provides. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Best wishes - Rob

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Lots of posts are started when similar threads have already been posted on the same subjects.If you can tidy them up all in one area it would be good,dont know how you would though!It would mean that lots of info was together on the same subject.

Ninelives

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2008
How about an ignore button to block showing selected users posts ? , seen it used on other Forums :)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Money Saving Expert has a few nice features: 1) A Thank you button. Members collect Thank Yous for useful posts and the number of times that they have been thanked is displayed. (Just a bit of fun) 2) Some form of indication to quickly show which threads you have a contribution in.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How about an ignore button to block showing selected users posts ? , seen it used on other Forums :)
This already exists Ninelives. Click on QuickLinks above, choose Edit Options, then on the list on the left at the foot within Miscellaneous, you'll see Buddy/Ignore lists where you can enter your preference.

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
I don't like green. I understand you have a theme colour but I think it's waaaay too much green. Reminds me of the muppetts and Kermit the Frog.

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
Will the new site have the ability to imbed photos in the thread, instead of on another page?

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Will the new site have the ability to imbed photos in the thread, instead of on another page?
The current site has that anyway. After you have uploaded the image to attach, click the attachment button again and it brings up a list of the images you have uploaded... Pick the one you want to add like this...
images.jpg

seca-seca

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 18, 2009
I am new to this site. I think it is fine as it is though. Why do people have to keep changing things? I mean we all no what a mess Consignia made of the post office. Now Aviva is the latest!

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Grumpy

How dare you say this forum color is no good, green is my favourite color if you don't like it then go away and leave us all away you victor meldew.

thx

Bob

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I personally like the site as it is, it works for me, I find it easy to use and simple (like me). For example I find the endless-sphere forum and others like that (fiat forum) difficult to navigate (I know its me but I dont care :))

John