Reducing wrist strain on Torq

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the tip Manchego, the simple ideas are often the best, and this is a very simple way of relieving the strain. There's a number of forum members unhappy with the strain of holding the throttle open who will be very interested.

Glad that you've recovered and are back in the saddle. :) Take care.

Manchego

Pedelecer
May 28, 2007
Oxfordshire
Hi David, no I think I got the standard version - but it might be worth checking the dimensions.

Its a good idea to get a reasonably snug fit, because it simply slides on and you occasionally need to reposition it as you go along because it slips out of position. Its also a simple matter to slip it off when you need it out of the way - it takes up some of the grip and this might be problem when fine control is needed.

But for the long fast stretches, the additional leverage makes a huge difference, reducing the grip needed dramatically reduces the cramp and also the trauma from the front wheel.

Quite a cheap upgrade too. I found it by googling extensively on "cruise control" just before I was about to do the Flecc grip adjustment.

cheers
John

C

Cyclezee

Like the sound of this. Bought 2nd hand Torq 2 weeks ago, only 2 weeks old and made a considerable saving.
I carried out Flecc's throttle mod last week and used some nice soft chunky grips to help cushion the shock coming through the bars. It works well, and now only need to use my thumb and forefinger to control the throttle. Might try the cramp buster mob, but would also like to use chunky grips, therefore wonder if I might need the wide Crampbuster?
Slightly different throttle thread. The only fault I found on the torq I bought was the rather brittle flimsy plastic the throttle assembly is made of was badly cracked by over tightening the grub screw to secure it to the bars. Looks like only the plastic is threaded and not the metal part of the assembly, bit of a design fault I reckon!
I repaired this with the careful application of epoxy resin adhesive. I applied vaseline to the areas where I did not want the adhesive to go, so that I did not lock the throttle or the grub screw. So far so good, but I think a new throttle might be in order. Has anybody had a similar problem?

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
On my Torq (And Sprint) the grub screw looks as though it's screwed into the plastic but actually passes through a clearance hole in the plastic part, the thread being in a metal collar underneath.

When I modified my twistgrip and fitted comfy grips I weakened the return spring at the same time (by drilling a new locating hole for the end), now thumb pressure alone is enough to operate the throttle.:)

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Hi folks i am in the process of changing the handlebar grips on my torq have done the easy side but not sure how to do the throttle side do i need to take out the small grub screw first:) i couldnt follow instructions on torq talk i am better looking at pictures many thanks nigel

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You shouldn't have to take off the twistgrip Nigel, just cut off the old grip rubber with a craft knife or similar if you don't want to save it. Then to twist on the new grip, lubricate it internally with a little water, then twist it on against the throttle opening direction. You can use slightly soapy water if it's difficult to put on.

Any time you do want to remove the throttle, the screw only needs slight loosening, never removal. You have to unplug the throttle as well of course.

The instructions on Torq Talk are only for converting to a two part split twistgrip, not for changing the grip rubbers.

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
For simplicity, I'm hoping (though I'm no confident) to find some padded grips which may stretch sufficiently to fit over the existing grips. Edinburgh bicycle co. (they have a branch near me) seem to have some cheap but well padded grips, not unlike Ians, their own "Revolution" brand have several different styles, weights & padding thicknesses for around £4 a pair, which I'll try to have a look at soon.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You might try a motor cycle dealer Stuart. Many motorbikes suffer severe vibration into the bars, I've owned and suffered some, and the throttle diameters are often larger.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Thanks for the reminder flecc, I'd intended to do that: motorcycle dealers are our friends! :D as manchego found with the crampbuster here.

I'll have to see what I come up with... my Torq will really feel like a motorbike then! :D :D

Stuart.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
:D...... I'd have to add sound effects myself, of course... maybe a Grandad "boombox" mod?! ;)

No, I'm only kidding - I like the Torq's relatively quiet & inconspicuous motor, especially when I'm going similar speeds to the numerous road bikes I'm now seeing more of quite locally, which I suppose helps to increase drivers' awareness of HSB's (high speed bicycles!) :).

I just hope they don't assume cyclists must be lycra-clad to be doing those sorts of speeds (which I won't be) :eek: (no cartoons Grandad, please! :eek:).

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I just hope they don't assume cyclists must be lycra-clad to be doing those sorts of speeds (which I won't be) :eek: (no cartoons Grandad, please! :eek:).
Do they do lycra leotards with foam fake muscle padding and colour shading to de-emphasize any unwanted fat layers? :cool:

(Not that you have any such layers of course Stuart)

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
:D.....
flecc said:
Do they do lycra leotards with foam fake muscle padding and colour shading to de-emphasize any unwanted fat layers? :cool:
I can always picture the Grandad cartoon at these moments :rolleyes:. If they do make them, I definitely wouldn't wear it! Kind of self-defeating for aero efficient "streamlining" for cyclists too :D.

Last edited: