Remove 15mph speed limiter

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
Hi,

I have a Tesco Hopper bike, aka Viking EGO, and would like to see if I could get a bit more speed out of it. Apologies for this newbie questions.

Before you say use the search box, I have read a number of posts but frankly I'm confused as they don't relate exactly to my make of bike, and afraid to try it in case it my bike goes up in smoke.

If it would help I can upload photos of the controller wiring.

D

Deleted member 4366

Bikes are governed to 15 mph in a number of ways. First, you have to look at the controller, which is in the compartment under the battery. You have to remove one side of it (2 big screws on the side and about 4 little ones on the corners. See if there's a pair of single wires coming out of the controller that are joined into a loop. They're often white. If you find them, unplug them, and that's it.

As your bike has small wheels, I reckon that you're limited by the motor winding speed. The motor will only spin up to a certain RPM by design, in which case the only way to make it go faster is more volts, which means a 36v battery or a booster battery

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
Bikes are governed to 15 mph in a number of ways. First, you have to look at the controller, which is in the compartment under the battery. You have to remove one side of it (2 big screws on the side and about 4 little ones on the corners. See if there's a pair of single wires coming out of the controller that are joined into a loop. They're often white. If you find them, unplug them, and that's it.
Thanks for the info. I'll have a look inside the controller for the loop. I'll also take some photos while I'm there and let you know how I get on.

That Xipi bike looks nice but like most desirable stuff is a bit beyond my reach. Looking at your shop can't believe you have a 2500 watt bike, wow. Wonder what the 0-28mph is like on this, surely faster than a normal car?

Reactions: Atdit

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Spikey you mentioned in your other post that you have already made a shunt mod to increase amps

Worth mentioning again as this will affect your ability to increase your volts without killing motor

Reactions: virgo
D

Deleted member 4366

He should be OK. I did it on the Cyclamatic. I went right up to 48v.

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
Spikey you mentioned in your other post that you have already made a shunt mod to increase amps

Worth mentioning again as this will affect your ability to increase your volts without killing motor
Forgot to repeat that, thanks for that.

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
I had a look at the controller today but could not find any wire loop coming out of it.

I've taken a few photos of the controller and the cables coming out. Appreciate if you could help further.

IMG_20130821_162742.jpg Controller on my Viking EGO

IMG_20130821_162949.jpg Controller PCB layout

IMG_20130821_163505.jpgIMG_20130821_163652.jpg Controller cables from different angles.

IMG_20130821_164639.jpgIMG_20130821_164708.jpgIMG_20130821_162843.jpg Inside the controller

D

Deleted member 4366

Interesting wiring. That big white wire must be for an optional display. I've got a feeling that HX might be speed limit. I can't quite see if it has a wire in it from the photos, so if it does have one, see if you can trace where it goes.

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
I reassembled the controller so can't check at the moment.

The photos seems to show only VP, HV and POR are connected. If HX is not connected, any idea where it should be connected to?

D

Deleted member 4366

Connected is limited!

It looks like you need more volts then :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
So the controller is not speed limiting the motor. :(

So the only way is upgrade the battery from 24V to a 36V type. I think I wait until the current battery wear down as £200+ for a new battery is not worth it for a slightly higher speed.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Or go down the booster battery approach which is much cheaper and , if required, temporary

Broadly you wire in another 12v battery in series with your current 24v one to get 36v

For pure testing purposes you could use a12v drill battery if you have one. No good long term as you need the aH of your main battery to match your booster - drill batteries are normally much too small/low ah

There is a thread called booster battery experiment which covers the subject in some detail.

Cheers
Kirstin

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Could the above also apply to my Kudos Sport?

Last edited:

Advertisers